The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/and-shell-gave-us-biofuels-how-do-biofuels-slow-31136333.aspx

Subject:  Re: Arctic Ice Date:  2/25/2014  12:07 PM
Author:  legalwordwarrior Number:  445471 of 459113

And Shell gave us biofuels. How do biofuels slow the amounts of CO2 being put out into the atmosphere? We would still be burning oxygen etc....

Until they figure out some sort of cold fusion, energy will require something to be burned. However, biofuels and renewable fuel sources mean less drilling, which means fewer acres of trees having to be chopped down to make room for platforms and roads to get to the sources. Chop down fewer trees, and arguably, the trees will continue to pump out oxygen. People put out huge amounts of CO2, yet no one ever goes out and says "Let's limit the population" well, okay, China did that, but that was in response to starvation, not CO2 emissions.

Does COP actually list what is doing anywhere? Or are those completely empty words? I think that is a very fair question. I have seen a lot of empty words.

I have a relative who is fairly high up the food chain of COP. They are doing some very cool stuff, they just haven't made much of it public yet. Their choice of acquisitions has been interesting.

The way I look at it, we're going to need renewable fuels, and the big oil companies understand that. They will invest where it shows the best profit for them. Just as gasoline and electricity replaced kerosene, they will make the changes they need in order to continue to profit.

LWW
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us