The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-do-not-know-what-would-be-best-for-you-i-do-not-31136455.aspx

Subject:  Re: RMD: Best time to take? Date:  2/25/2014  12:51 PM
Author:  JeanDavid Number:  120218 of 121219

I do not know what would be best for you.
I do not really know what would be best for me.
And I do not have to know because other considerations apply.

I must pay a large (to me) estimated tax to the Feds.
I must pay a hefty quarterly property tax to the state
I must pay my annual automobile insurance premium.
I must pay my homeowner's insurance premium the next month.
I must pay higher medical bills at both ends of the year. The deductables at the beginning (and the doughnut hole for prescriptions at the end).

That money has to come from somewhere, and my defined benefit retirement money will not do it. My social security manages to cover the property tax over the year.

So I used to take about 1/2 of the RMD by the end of January. This year, my RMD went up 50%. I suppose that meant the value of my IRA was up a lot. But some costs went up too, so I still took out about half.

Sometimes I wish to roll over part of my IRA to my Roth IRA, and I cannot do that until I take my entire RMD out. When I wish to roll over a particular stock, I prefer to do so when its market price is as low as possible. So if one seems unreasonably low, and I want to roll it over, I better have taken my RMD out already.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us