The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/mf-as-basis-for-ira-investments-31140985.aspx

Subject:  MF as basis for IRA investments Date:  2/27/2014  2:21 PM
Author:  bschne1909 Number:  74301 of 75838

I am considering using the Motley Fool recommendations for my IRA. I am a long time but very inactive investor (buy and hold has worked well). I did an experiment with my IRA 9 years ago, I split it in half and put half in a professionally managed portfolio and half in ETFs. I recently compared the results and they have both done well but the ETFs are now worth about 7% more than the managed account. That is a little less than the difference in management fees.
Thus I am thinking about splitting the managed account in half and following MF advice for that half. I recently signed up for MF "Rule Breakers" and have been hit up for the MF One service. Would MF One be worth the extra? As a long term investor, RB seems to be my style. I don't want to spend a lot of time on this and don't want to be overwhelmed with information I won't read but I thought this might be an interesting experiment. So my question is is RB right for a portion of my IRA and/or would adding MF One be better?
This account would have a fairly significant amount of money in it but not a big portion of our life savings.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us