The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/its-a-difficult-time-yes-thanks-to-you-and-ip-31143549.aspx

Subject:  Re: inheriting stock Date:  2/28/2014  7:28 PM
Author:  Goofyhoofy Number:  120299 of 121217

It's a difficult time.

Yes. Thanks to you and ip and others for your thoughts. He's bounced up and down over the last several months, but just last week said "I don't want to go to the hospital anymore." That's unusual because he typically has a highly optimistic life outlook. But maybe we'll be lucky and he'll bounce back (it's happened before) and things will turn up.

As it turns out I am not the executor, that would be the other sister. The account is in a trust, and the lawyer is local (to her, not me.) She called and asked, and I wanted to make sure my answer to her was correct, which it mostly was (although I didn't think about the time between the event and the dispersal.)

Although small, one followup. About $30k is in his IRA. I think I recall a way to pass that free of taxes (temporarily). I'm sure the estate attorney will know, but more information is always better. Anyway, thanks again.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us