The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Short Sale Fee Date:  3/3/2014  10:31 PM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  120340 of 127513

I trade at Fidelity. I short stocks. On my Fidelity account, I have "short sale fee" identified on my 2013 Tax Reporting Statement. Are these fees tax deductible? Which form would the data be entered on if it is tax deductible?

Ask Fidelity exactly what this is. If it's a straight fee, it would be deductible as a miscellaneous itemized deduction subject to 2% AGI haircut. If it's a form of margin interest, it would be a deductible interest expense subject to limitations calculated on Form 4952. It might even be something else.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us