The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: IRS form 6781 Date:  3/3/2014  10:34 PM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  120341 of 127745

I trade options and use Gainskeeper. Gainskeeper generates a 6781 for some of the option trades. Can someone clarify for me the purpose of 6781 and what I should do with it in Turbo Tax.

Form 6781 is used to report gains from Section 1256 contracts and straddles. If you don't know what to do with it on your tax return, you shouldn't be using options as part of your investment strategy.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us