The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/on-my-1099-div-i-have-box-3-non-dividend-31148389.aspx

Subject:  Re: Non-Dividend Distribution Date:  3/3/2014  10:37 PM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  120342 of 121219

On my 1099-Div, I have Box 3 Non-Dividend Distributions. My broker says these are from 3 stocks - NVDA, KWG, FHCO. How do I confirm that these are indeed non-dividend distributions as opposed to regular dividends? I would hate to do my taxes and get a revised 1099-Div telling me these are regular dividends.

Box 3 entries are usually returns of capital. These often occur if the company doesn't have enough earnings to support the cash distributed as dividends. When you receive a non-dividend distribution, you reduce your cost basis in the shares you own. It doesn't get reported on your current income tax return, but will increase the gain (reduce the loss) reported when you sell the shares in question.

The best resource for determining that these are not going to be reclassified is the investor relations site at the company.

Ira
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us