The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/aca-surcharge-31149735.aspx

Subject:  ACA surcharge Date:  3/4/2014  5:04 PM
Author:  skorthos Number:  120349 of 121448

This may be off-topic for this board and if so, I apologize in advance. Maybe you can head me in the right direction.

My wife and I have our taxes prepared by a financial services company that we have used for many years, Our connection to them came through my original tax preparer from about 30 years ago, and when he joined the company, we continued to do our tax preparation with him. He retired this year and the company hired a new tax guy to replace him.

When we received our tax packages, we found in the bill an "ACA surcharge" of $100 for each of us. We asked about it and we were told by this new tax guy that he had to create a huge, complicated spreadsheet to respond to the requirements of the Affordable Care Act. Further, his assistant had to take eight hours of courses to learn about the ACA and all of his clients were being charged this same $100.

I said that since my wife and I both had very good health insurance plans through our employers, and neither of us earned more than $200,000, or ran a company with employees, we should not need the benefits of his complicated spreadsheet nor the course work of his assistant. I suggested that he could have included checkboxes on the detailed tax questionnaire that he sent out prior to tax preparation, and those checkboxes would tell him all he needed to know about how the Affordable Care Act applied to us.

Am I wrong about this? Is everyone who uses a tax preparer paying a surcharge for the Affordable Care Act?

skorthos
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us