The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/wow-thank-you-guys-for-your-quick-responses-you-31150023.aspx

Subject:  Re: ACA surcharge Date:  3/4/2014  8:22 PM
Author:  skorthos Number:  120356 of 121217

Wow! Thank you guys for your quick responses. You have all confirmed our thoughts in different ways.

My first thought when I saw that charge was that it was opportunistic (sychronicity) and this guy was tacking on an extra charge thinking that he can score some money while shifting the blame to Obama.

My wife said at our meeting with him that it seemed to her that professionals in every field need to take classes to stay current (ptheland, JAFO31) so the fact that he had to include a new spreadsheet or his assistant had to attend a class were just part of their overhead. So, bump the fees a bit on everything.

JAFO31’s comment that in the future we might see a surcharge on every new software update was exactly what I said at our meeting.

And thank you, vkg, for putting your finger on the very thing that makes us so upset about this…the idea that we were blindsided by this new surcharge AFTER they had prepared our taxes. We now feel like we must pay them for their work, but somehow we feel violated. It is not so much about the money, it is about the feeling that they take us for chumps. We feel like we have been played.

Finally, we agree that we must find someone else to do our taxes next year. I would rather simplify them down to TurboTax and, if necessary, pay more in taxes than give this guy another dime.

Thanks again for your responses.

skorthos
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us