The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  1099-MISC that is not mine, how to fix? Date:  3/5/2014  5:07 AM
Author:  Cptbutton Number:  120359 of 127614

Last month I got a 1099-MISC from a company I never heard of in a state
where I do no business.

I live in GA and own property in NY.

A company in NC I've never heard of or done business with sent me a
1099-MISC for several thousand dollars of rent.

The name, address, and SSN are mine.

I checked with my property manager to make sure it wasn't from him and
it isn't.

I checked two credit reports and am waiting on the third. No sign of
identity theft on the first two.

I looked around on the IRS site and the web, but no one seems to say
anything about this sort of case, only about what to do to 1099s that
have errors corrected. Nothing about what to do when the 1099 should not
exist at all.

So I assume someone at this company made a mistake. When I contact them,
what do I have to ask for to make sure they told the IRS they were wrong
and that the IRS acknowledges that?

Do I have to do anything to make sure the tax departments of all three
states have gotten the word also?

Should I delay filing my taxes until this is straightened out?
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us