The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: 1099-MISC that is not mine, how to fix? Date:  3/5/2014  5:47 AM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  120360 of 127549

So I assume someone at this company made a mistake.

Sounds like it. Get in touch with them--I'd write--and ask them to correct it. All done.

It may or may not get all fixed up so the IRS or a state doesn't contact you. Time will tell. But this is one of those "things you can control, things you can't" situations, so spend as little time as possible on it and move on. It definitely is not your responsibility to figure out how the party in error fixes things.

Should this ever be a serious problem the law is on your side. The IRS cannot rely on a 1099 if you challenge it and cooperate fully in their investigation.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us