The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Side income documentation Date:  3/5/2014  12:08 PM
Author:  Brewologist Number:  120368 of 127974

I have a question about how to split side job income. My wife taught a one day workshop in another state with a coworker and was paid $750 by check made out to her. She then wrote a $375 check to the coworker. I think that what should happen is she should get a 1099 for the $750 (she hasn't, we've inquired as to the hold-up but this non-profit seems to be disorganized) and then issue a 1099-misc for the $375 to the coworker. But I usually just use Turbotax and admit that my understanding of the IRS regulations is limited. If the experts here could point me to the right references that would be great. What is the correct way to file taxes on this income?
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us