The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Side income documentation Date:  3/5/2014  12:53 PM
Author:  vkg Number:  120369 of 127815

Your wife should receive a 1099 because she was paid over $600. Since she paid the co-worker less than $600, I don't believe a 1099 to the co-worker is required. If she wishes to issue a 1099, she doesn't need to wait for her 1099. 1099s are required to be issued on original forms. If she intends upon issuing a 1099, request printed forms should be requested from the IRS. I was surprised that tax software isn't permitted to print 1099s.

Since she knows the amount she was paid and their isn't any withholding, she doesn't need the 1099 to file her taxes.

File Form 1099-MISC for each person to whom you have paid at least $10 in royalties or broker payments in lieu of dividends or tax-exempt interest; at least $600 in rents, services (including parts and materials), prizes and awards, other income payments, medical and health care payments, crop insurance proceeds, cash payments for fish (or other aquatic life) you purchase from anyone engaged in the trade or business of catching fish, or, generally, the cash paid from a notional principal contract to an individual, partnership, or estate; any fishing boat proceeds, or gross proceeds of $600, or more paid to an attorney during the year.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us