The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: 1040 for deceased taxpayer Date:  3/8/2014  11:20 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  120403 of 123001

1) I need to know if I can file his final 1040 return electronically?

Yes, you can. However, the professional community I chat with has had an unusually large number of e-filing rejects for deceased taxpayers this year. Unofficially, it seems that Social Security and IRS are misinterpreting each other in this area. So I would be prepared for the possibility of the e-filing to fail.

Frankly, it's not that big of a deal. If it rejects, just file on paper.

In either case, don't forget to include Form 1310, which is required to obtain a refund for a deceased taxpayer.

do I really need to file a 4868 since the IRS states there is no penalty for filing a