The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-standard-from-what-ive-read-seems-to-be-31157656.aspx

Subject:  Re: Withdrawal Strategies...Again Date:  3/9/2014  1:41 PM
Author:  culcha Number:  74447 of 76398

The standard from what I've read seems to be this:

Retirees should withdraw funds as follows:

-- From their taxable accounts (investment and others)

-- From tax-deferred accounts (401(k), 403(b), 457, SIMPLE IRA plans, etc.)

-- From tax-exempt retirement accounts (Roth IRA, or Roth-optioned accounts)

In other words, it seems to be the opposite of the order of investing, if you are in the [pre-retirement] accumulation phase.

The only exception, during accumulation, would be to contribute to the 401(k) first, but only up to the limit of matching funds. But in my own case, I have no matching funds, so your one-two-three list for spending in retirement is just the mirror-image of the accumulation-phase order. Also, I'm not looking to leave any inheritance; nor will I "retire early." So, the one-two-three list makes sense for me (and probably for many other people), but I can see that different situations might call for some different order.

As for RMDs, these are often thought to be huge (and maybe in some cases they actually are huge), but in general they seem to me to be much smaller than people believe. Have you checked out what they would be in your own case? In the final analysis, it's best to do what fits your own case the best. I don't think there is a "one size fits all" here.

culcha
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us