The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Property tax deduction on sold home Date:  3/11/2014  9:35 AM
Author:  Jennlee222 Number:  120429 of 127753

I married in 2013, so this is my first year of joint filing. I sold my primary residence halfway through 2013, and moved to my husband's home. (That home met all the qualifications for property tax deduction.)

Because of the sold home, I paid no property taxes directly at the end of the year, but in the home purchase settlement agreement, the tax amount was prorated for the approximate half year I owned the home and taken into account in the sale. So I basically paid the buyer that amount, and they (I assume) payed the property tax bill.

So do I take that amount listed for those taxes from the HUD-1 Settlement statement and add it to property tax deduction amount that we are claiming for my husband's home? I am allowed to claim the deduction amount for that, aren't I?

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us