The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/how-to-split-a-joint-account-31162769.aspx

Subject:  how to split a joint account Date:  3/12/2014  3:47 PM
Author:  hondochica Number:  120434 of 121180

Greetings Fools;

I opened a join acct w/ my sister with mom's $$ a few years ago. Mom gave each of us the then max of 12k; so the acct was opened with $24k. We expected needing the $$ to care for mom, but she passed quickly w/o the need for long term care. I am the 'primary' acct holder. The acct is in a brokerage acct at Fidelity, invested in various stocks. It now has a value of @ $35k. I was the primary beneficiary of mom's estate, so I ended up w/ the bulk of the $$.

To fairly split the estate, I would prefer to just give this entire acct to my sister - basically take my name off the acct. What's the fastest way for my sister to take full ownership with minimal cost/taxes. Can we start by just splitting the acct into two and each take (roughly) half, and then 'gift' her the annual max until she has all of it? Do I really need to discuss this w/ a tax advisor? Are there complications with gifting stocks?

Thanks
Kelly
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us