The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/for-findingif-a-company-interest-me-i-go-to-31179803.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: dollar general for income Date:  3/24/2014  12:57 PM
Author:  blacktreechaser Number:  35232 of 35400

For finding...if a company interest me, I go to Etrade, use the Research tab for that company, and then the Options tab to see if options are available. If yes, then I just do a quick calculation to determine a very rough yield estimate.

For deciding.....Ten years ago or so, I'd look for about a 15% annualized return if the price of the stock stayed the same. The return would be from the option premium I receive, and dividends.
Now its harder to find a 10% return. But if its less than that, I don't bother with it.

That's where I start. Other than that, it can be for different reasons. Dollar General (DG) was sort of a "buy-what-you-know" thing. I just had Travel Centers of America (TA) shares taken away on Friday, but I'm not buying back in. I made that decision from looking at their last financial report and analysts' opinions.

Present positions I have of buying the stock/selling call options are American Tower (AMT),Cloud Peak (CLD), Ricks (RICK), Intel, and Krispy Kreme (KKD). Some of these positions I've had quite a while...the options expire out of the money, and I just sell new ones.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us