The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/consolidation-of-roths-31185581.aspx

Subject:  Consolidation of Roths? Date:  3/27/2014  9:10 PM
Author:  bigcaat Number:  74650 of 86374

Hi All.

It's been a while. My husband and I both have Roths at Vanguard. They are both in Target Funds. (I'm wondering if we should think about VTSMX instead, but that's the auxiliary question here.)

We have a brokerage account at Scottrade, which we are very happy with. Our main checking account is at what is now CapOne360, but I went there because it was ING which was bought.

I'm happy at all three places, and I know that I shouldn't try to fix what's not broken, but I'm going to through something out there for opinions, in an effort to simplify my life.

I'm considering transferring our Roth IRAs to our Joint Brokerage account at Scottrade, (they charge no fees) for the simple reason that they would be all in one place and I could access them all together. (I *think* I would also be able to access my husband's Roth which is a hassle now because they need to be two different sign ins, and I do all the finances.)

I'm also considering opening up a checking account there, at Scottrade, not to muddy the waters, but to see how I like it in case I'd ever like to move away from CapOne, (since we traditionally don't like using behemoths like that and not sure where they will go as they more and more engulf ING.)

What do you think of this kind of consolidation of Roth accounts? Am I simplifying, or just making things more complicated?

Thanks in advance,
Caat
Copyright 1996-2017 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us