The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/now-that-this-horse-has-been-killed-sent-to-the-31228719.aspx

Subject:  Re: Home Ownership not a good investment Date:  4/29/2014  9:40 AM
Author:  jgc123 Number:  74886 of 75801

Now that this horse has been killed, sent to the knackers yard and sold as glue, I will put on my 'pontificating old geezer' hat.

My experience from 1981 to 2000 was that our houses mostly appreciated in price and our sheltered investment accounts mostly appreciated.

Neither have appreciated as consistently or reliably from 2000-2014 as they did from 1981-2000.

That could mean that our combination of aging population, mechanization replacing people in production lines, exporting of production jobs to other countries for various reasons will mute real returns for the next 20 years or more.

If real returns are muted over the next 20 years or more:

Baby boomers who failed to save enough over the last 30 years are going to have a heck of a time playing catch up regardless of fault being ascribed to each of them individually. A 58 year old (I am 58) is looking at muted returns whether s/he is looking at housing or stocks or bonds.

Baby boomers who may have saved enough to retire continue to work because they are fearful. They continue to hold jobs that could be done by younger workers or underemployed workers trying to stay afloat.

I have reduced my expectations going forward for real returns on stocks, bonds AND my home.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us