The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/real-estate-does-not-always-go-up-it-goes-up-31228801.aspx

Subject:  Re: Home Ownership not a good investment Date:  4/29/2014  10:21 AM
Author:  2gifts Number:  74888 of 76406

Real estate does not always go up. It goes up, and it goes down.

So do stocks.

Absolutely. It just seemed to me that on this thread, most people were talking as though their house would only appreciate in price, and that's not true.

Which means you simply think of your home as defined differently, but providing you with housing is a way of providing you value...it's just not as easily defined as an investment as dividends from a stock.

You are correct. When I look at an investment, it is typically because I am looking for its value to increase so that I will have more spendable cash. I cannot spend my house. It is an illiquid asset, and costs me money as I have to do things like pay property taxes, insurance and maintenance. At some point, it will be turned into spendable cash, but it will most likely be when I'm dead and my estate is being settled because I will still need a place to live while I am alive.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us