The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/not-only-did-i-never-imply-that-but-i-never-31231961.aspx

Subject:  Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the W Date:  5/1/2014  1:39 AM
Author:  1poorguy Number:  57158 of 60244

Not only did I never imply that, but I never would.

OK. That's how it read to me, but I'll take you at your word on that.

Belittle them and then ignore their questions.

Not belittling. At least not intentionally. I simply pointed out that statistically coal (fossil fuels) are much more hazardous than nuclear in terms of effects on humans and the planet. Even Chernobyl was unable to alter that calculus.

Hmmm . . . It is certainly a problem that needs attention, but this is hardly a quantifiable or provable hypothesis.

The latest I'm hearing from IPCC says otherwise. Their forecasts are dire.

Still, even if we all believe this to be true, that does not make the widespread proliferation of nuclear energy the responsible solution. You understand that, right?

As I believe I said previously, I would prefer solar. But we just aren't ready to do that yet. Nuclear we can do TODAY. And it's a better choice than fossil fuels. Does that make it a great choice? No. It's not a matter of faith that we can handle the waste properly. We have the technology, we just need the will. It has become so politicized that the technology is being ignored, mostly.

The one point you had which I thought was both interesting and valid (beyond the fact that we must address the waste responsibly, of course) was conveying to future generations about the hazardous storage sites. That is an interesting problem for some of the disposal/sequestration methods. I don't know that anyone has looked at that in detail.

I think caution is advised and that we need to invest more in energy solutions that are safer and cleaner than what we do today.

I definitely can agree with that. We shouldn't be trying to tax people who put panels on their roofs (as is happening now), we should be incentivizing it. We should be investing in solar thermal plants. We should be working on storage technology so we can "charge it up" during the day, and then have a source of power when the sun sets. Etc. Offshore windmills are probably an outstanding idea also. Investing in fracking and pipelines is stupid from an environmental/survival standpoint, and therefore wasteful.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us