The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/as-a-furnace-repairman-i-used-to-recommend-that-31249120.aspx

Subject:  Re: Spoiled Generation Date:  5/14/2014  6:43 AM
Author:  inparadise Number:  19114 of 19483

As a furnace repairman, I used to recommend that people by a furnace from Carrier or one of it's other brands. Carrier furnaces weren't better than other brands, but they are much the largest maker of furnaces. As a result, if some repairman can fix ANYTHING he can probably fix Carrier furnaces, because he sees them so often.

Furnaces maybe, but heat pumps, no. Noisiest things ever! It's not surprising ours wakes me up, as I am a light sleeper, but amazing how it frequently wakes DH up. He usually needs a cattle prod to wake him up out of a deep sleep.

We've been pricing out repairs on our older HVAC unit to the other heat pump servicing the main part of the house. One of the guys who gave an estimate said he won't sell the Carrier/Bryant brand after the class he took about installation informed him that these outside units should be on a cement pad 18" deep and far from bedrooms to compensate for noise. Got to admit it does offer a much warmer heat than other heat pumps we have had.

IP
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us