The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/youve-calculated-the-amount-of-time-it-takes-to-31253950.aspx

Subject:  Re: Spoiled Generation Date:  5/17/2014  7:55 PM
Author:  oceanbluela Number:  19126 of 19483

You've calculated the amount of time it takes to do this commute. But have you calculated the cost per hour of the time you save if you move closer yet have substantially higher housing costs as a result?

Hi Seattle Pioneer,

If we move across town and then the kids move, c'est la vie! We aren't moving just to be closer to them. But that is an added bonus. Especially for my partner, Sandi, who is really ready for a grandchild. Me? I just want everyone to be happy and busy. And so far, so good.

It will cost us more money to buy a more expensive house. The rise in taxes alone will be a hit to the bottom line. But we can afford it. Do I want to spend more in taxes or to take on a mortgage again? Not really. But I am happy to make those payments if what I am paying for makes us happy and opens our world. And I know it will. Whether the kids remain within a closer radius or not. :-)

Vivienne
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us