The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/self-insurance-of-a-different-kind-31267422.aspx

Subject:  Self Insurance of a Different Kind Date:  5/29/2014  7:37 AM
Author:  inparadise Number:  75102 of 89849

Since it is pretty darned clear that no financial adviser is going to suggest this, and I felt it was time to remove the discussion from that thread.

At first onset, we'll develop as terrible sleeping disorder and need strong sleeping pills, prescribed by as many doctors as we can see in a short period of time. It shouldn't take very long to have a large enough supply and take tham all at once. Less messy than driving into a bridge abutment at 100 MPH.

It doesn't have to be that complicated, unless of course you are looking for an insurance payout. We are eliminating life insurance.

Helping the terminally ill end their lives, condemned for decades as immoral, is gaining traction. Banned everywhere but Oregon until 2008, it is now legal in five states. Its advocates, who have learned to shun the term "assisted suicide," believe that as baby boomers watch frail parents suffer, support for what they call the "aid in dying" movement will grow further.

In January, the New Mexico Supreme Court authorized doctors to provide lethal prescriptions and declared a constitutional right for "a competent, terminally ill patient to choose aid in dying." In May, the Vermont Legislature passed a law permitting it, joining Montana, Oregon and Washington. This spring, advocates are strongly promoting "death with dignity" bills in Connecticut and other states.

http://www.telegram.com/article/20140208/NEWS/302089876/1116...

And it's legal in several countries overseas. No need to worry about a botched job making things worse.

I helped my parents hospice at home with my sisters, both of which thankfully are nurses, one actually a hospice nurse. So I had it relatively "easy," being basically support staff and providing emotional support as my parents lives tortuously ebbed. There was nothing comforting or pleasant about the experiences, and I frankly wonder if our presence made things worse by keeping them from passing on, causing them to fight harder. I so wanted to take that vial of morphine that Sis guarded and end their pain. I guess you could say they looked peaceful at death, but only in comparison to the actively tortured state they had just left. I came home and threw out the "Scream" Halloween masks the kids had from their trick or treating days. Reminded me way too much of Dad's face in his final days.

And don't even get me started on Alzheimers. Went through that experience with someone I considered a second Mom. That is no life. I could fill pages and pages with horror stories, but hopefully you get my point.

But I did have the blessing of seeing a friend of the family chose his own exit. Saddled with Lou Gehrig's, he chose to stop taking meds, food or water, and passed away in a hospice where they administered palliative care. He empowered himself rather than allow himself and his wife to become a victim of his illness. It was very clear that he was truly at peace with his decision, and though it had been a struggle to get his wife on board with his ideas, she eventually also became accepting of his choosing his exit.

We are kinder to our pets than we are to ourselves, not allowing them to suffer unnecessarily. Our medical ability to keep life hanging on by the barest thread has long surpassed our ability to calmly discuss this subject of personal choice. I am hopeful that when my time comes to make that choice, society will have come to terms with it, but if not, I will be proactive. Though I am now in good health, I have already started discussing my choice with DH, who will be my biggest impediment. And my last act of love will be to protect my family from repeating my experience, leave them remembering me as vibrant, not an unrecognizable shell of my former self.

IP,
way more afraid of "living" too long than dying
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us