The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Paying For College

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/difficult-question-to-answer-ive-been-investing-31325586.aspx

Subject:  Re: Anyone succeeded in paying for college? Date:  7/14/2014  2:53 PM
Author:  1poorguy Number:  8143 of 8174

Difficult question to answer.

I've been investing since I was in college. Back in those days I'd send in $50 when I could (a few times a year). Funds like Monetta allowed such small contributions. I also opened an IRA and funded that as I could.

As I progressed in life my style changed a bit, as did my resources, but I continued investing. When the kid came along, I didn't really change much. In hindsight I should have been more aggressive to learn about 529s and such. But I did have in my mind that my investments were now for her college and our eventual retirement, both. I did finally open the 529 also.

So today she has the 529, plus I can tap my brokerage account as needed. I can tap it via cash-on-hand, margin loan, or I can sell stock. We are fortunate that she received a scholarship that pays 90% of her tuition, meaning we have to make up the 10% plus books, room, board, etc. That is still substantial, but manageable.

1poorguy

(I am no longer in Monetta, and all my mutual fund holdings are either IRA or 401K with the rest (taxable) being a small group of stocks which I understand and monitor.)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us