The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / Recipes/Cooking

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-make-peach-marmalade-and-it-is-a-family-31353011.aspx

Subject:  Re: An abundance of peaches Date:  8/2/2014  6:51 PM
Author:  2gifts Number:  55821 of 56309

I make peach marmalade, and it is a family favorite. We use it to spread on toast or bagels, and also in recipes that call for orange marmalade.

1 small orange
1 lemon
1/4 cup water
3 pounds of peaches (4 cups)
1 1.75 ounce package powdered fruit pectin
5 cups sugar

Cut orange and lemon in quarters; remove seeds. Slice orange and lemon quarters cross-wise into paper-thin slices. A food processor fitted with its thinnest cutting disk is perfect for this. In a medium saucepan, combine fruit slices and water. Cover and simmer the orange and lemon mixture for 20 minutes.

Peel, pit, and finely chop or grind peaches. I find that pulsing in the food processor works for this, but be careful not to puree and to chop the peaches. In an 8- or 10-quart kettle or Dutch oven, combine orange and lemon mixture with chopped peaches.

Stir pectin into fruit mixture. Bring mixture to full, rolling boil. Stir in sugar; bring again to full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil hard, uncovered, for 1 minute. Remove from heat, and quickly skim foam. Pour at once into hot sterilized jars and seal. Process in water bath for 15 minutes. Makes 7 or 8 half-pints.

I tend to make 3 or 4 batches when I make this, and give it as gifts as well as use in recipes.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us