The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks A / Apple

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-agree-that-there-have-been-missed-opportunities-32938193.aspx

Subject:  Re: Missed Opportunities Date:  1/1/2018  1:07 PM
Author:  rhill0123 Number:  208283 of 208578

I agree that there have been missed opportunities for apple (so far) although I am not sure I agree with what categories of product.

I am likely to buy Sonos speakers soon for a home theater setup. Apple's home speaker looks first gen to me (not even clear it will be positioned against Sonos) and likely needs a whole lot of work to catch up to where Sonos is.

I am not sure it makes sense for apple to try to compete against amazon for $50 kindles and $30 dots. I am pretty sure that is a loss-making business for Amazon maybe made up for greater Amazon stickiness and retail sales which wouldn't apply to apple.

I do think there is unmet need in home automation. Audio, networking, smart devices, etc. Apple seems way behind on this. Almost as if it is a hobby for them. They had quite a bit of the pieces (Airport, Apple TV, Siri). But they haven't done much. They could've been a lot more aggressive if they were serious.

Rob
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us