The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks A / Apple

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-am-not-sure-it-makes-sense-for-apple-to-try-to-32938942.aspx

Subject:  Re: Missed Opportunities Date:  1/2/2018  11:48 AM
Author:  dsbrady Number:  208288 of 208488

I am not sure it makes sense for apple to try to compete against amazon for $50 kindles and $30 dots. I am pretty sure that is a loss-making business for Amazon maybe made up for greater Amazon stickiness and retail sales which wouldn't apply to apple.

I'm not necessarily saying they need to be as inexpensive as Amazon's products, but it would be nice if they were closer (and in the case of the HomePods, closer to the functionality). If there were a $200 iPad Kids Edition or something (which could possibly be an older version of the iPad Mini), I probably would have gone for that (assuming it had similar parental controls). And, while a cheaper Google Home-like assistant device could help push more people towards Apple Music. If Apple is Siri-us (ha ha) about pushing their services, they may need lower margin devices that integrate with them into more mass-adoption).

dsbrady
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us