The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks A / Apple

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-tried-to-keep-the-two-units-as-similar-as-33050635.aspx

Subject:  Re: Take the Fifth! - Sure! Date:  4/27/2018  11:26 PM
Author:  awlabrador Number:  208453 of 208629

I tried to keep the two units as similar as possible. Apples to apples, if you will.

The MBP has:

-- A far more powerful GPU (Radeon Pro 560 vs. GeForce MX130; see https://technical.city/en/video/Radeon-Pro-560-vs-GeForce-MX... MX130 memory is different than tested by technical.city, though -- 2 GB vs. 4 GB in Dell laptop)
-- a higher capacity battery (76 watt-hours vs. 56 watt-hours)
-- Thunderbolt 3 ports
-- Touch Bar and Force Touch trackpad

The Inspiron has
-- A higher resolution built-in screen
-- memory configurable up to 32 GB
-- ports other than Thunderbolt/USB C.

For those of us who strongly prefer macOS, the $1500 up-front cost to get to use macOS vs. Windows is easily worth it, when you consider having to use the laptop daily and spread out over 3 years for the Dell vs., say, 5 years (barring physical incapacitation) for the MBP.

Were I to get the Inspiron -- and I use Dell Latitudes and Dell Precision MC6800s at work -- I'd have to install Ubuntu for dual-boot, using Ubuntu as my primary OS, which means I'm wasting money on Microsoft (except for the rare application I might use that requires Windows). A major problem with using the Dells to run Ubuntu is that Nvidia has appalling driver support for Linux (or at least Ubuntu), which means I'd deactivate the Nvidia card and use only the Intel graphics (Inspiron uses Intel HD Graphics 620, according to http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/04/help-me-choose/hmc-video-..., which may or may not be out of date; MBP uses Intel HD Graphics 630, which is moot because I wouldn't have to turn off the Radeon).

I once had Windows-only software running long-term (e.g. weeks) data acquisition off an Inspiron in a lab. Windows 10 Pro kept rebooting itself every once in a while for forced (mostly security) updates, killing a lot of mission-critical data gathering. Yes, the computer was networked, so not having the security upgrades was theoretically a risk, but it was a risk we understood and were willing to take, given the importance of the lab runs. Microsoft doesn't want people turning off those updates, so it wasn't a simple matter of opening a control panel and toggling a switch. To say that I had to jump through a bunch of hoops and research the how-to information on the web is a ridiculous understatement. You can tell me that it's do-able or easy, but when I compare it to macOS, I'll give you the same "yeah, right" skepticism I reserve for Linux propellerheads who tell me the same thing for Linux ("it's so easy. You just go to /etc/blahblah.d and change the settings FUBAR, FROTZ, and FLATHEAD in blahblah.conf, then reboot!").

Avoiding these hassles daily, weekly, or monthly for 3-5 years is well worth an up-front cost of $1500, to me.

-awlabrador
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us