A Foolish Interview with TMFOpie Add to My Favorite Fools Add to My Penalty Box

Take me back to where I was.
Click here to edit your Interview.
Find another Fool's Interview:
The Fool: What's the best restaurant you've ever been to? (Include name, location, and average bill for two)
TMFOpie: Well, it's a toss-up between two joints in Philly. One is Le Bec-Fin, one of the finest french restaurants in the States. The other is Pat's steak shop in South Philly. Cheesesteaks don't come any better.
The Fool: Tell us about your greatest personal success, not necessarily finance related.
TMFOpie: Back in the mid 90s I spent 6 months going to school in Spain and travelling around the country. It was a fantastic learning experience, even though I didn't have quite as much fun as they had in the movie Barcelona. Plus I didn't see Mira Sorvino.
The Fool: Okay Gilligan (or Ginger), you're stuck on a deserted island. What one material possesion would you hope to have with you?
TMFOpie: Well, if I have hopes of getting off the island, I guess a mirror. If I'm stuck there for longer than a three hour tour, then give me a leatherman's tool. Those things can do anything.
The Fool: Your Dumbest Investment?
TMFOpie: Not buying more Merck during the Vioxx scare. I looked at it, though the worries were mostly overblown, and figured the business still had tremendous value even though prognasticators were calling for the company's demise. I bought more; just not enough.
The Fool: Describe how you value stocks:
TMFOpie: I focus on company's competitive position and how it uses that position to increase revenues, margins and improve capital management. I try to see where the company will be in five or ten years, and what it's financial picture will be. Then I analyze the financials to see if the price is reasonable to those expectations. It's not bullet proof but it's the way I like to look at businesses. I figure it's the way I would look at any business I was going to buy outright.
The Fool: What technology do you wish the world had but doesn't yet?
TMFOpie: Molecular transportation, or whatever you want to call it. How great would it be to just put on a jacket or something and woooosh...off you go to visit your kids or parents or go to the Super Bowl.
The Fool: Do you have a favorite non-financial website? If so, which one? (TYPE the URL)
TMFOpie: http://www.nytimes.com
http://www.espn.com
Go to TMFOpie's Profile
Stock Folders: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z