A Foolish Interview with GratuitousQ Add to My Favorite Fools Add to My Penalty Box

Take me back to where I was.
Click here to edit your Interview.
Find another Fool's Interview:
The Fool: As you were growing up (or now, raising children), did your family have any distinctive rituals or practices others might do well to emulate?
GratuitousQ: My mother made sure that we all sat down to dinner together at the same time despite our busy schedules. Sometimes that meant having to wait on someone to finish swim practice or get home from a Boy Scout meeting, but it gave us a great chance to be together as a family once a day and spend some actual time together. It also helped her make sure we ate "something green" (usually from her organic backyard garden) at least once a day.
The Fool: How'd you find out about the Fool? (Make your answer as colorful and truthful as possible.)
GratuitousQ: I enjoyed wandering around Barnes & Noble when I was in high school - my parents were struggling with understanding finances and had for years, so I decided that if I was going to learn anything about managing my own finances I'd better look elsewhere.
I bought a book on Investing written by the Fools - I read it and began 'paper' investing on the original Motley Fool website. I went to college and left my Roth IRA with a broker (and 5% Front Load) but didn't make enough to add anything so didn't do anything about taking over my own investments until 2008. As soon as I started putting away enough to invest in individual stocks I ditched the broker, transferred everything to a self-directed Roth IRA and have been beating 'the market' by ~14% annually since 2008.
The Fool: What's the most overrated idea, person, or event in our culture?
GratuitousQ: The idea of unchallenged and inevitable American supremacy comes first to mind... although the Kardashians & Donald Trump's reality TV career are close seconds.
The Fool: What's been your best investment to date, and how did you discover it?
GratuitousQ: I bought Apple at $120/share back in the fall of 2008, and more when it dropped to $80... I knew it was worth more than that because everyone I know wanted at least one, if not more, of their products, and would prefer having to pay $100 more for an Apple product than get a free product from a competitor.
The Fool: Do you have a favorite company or stock which the worldwide Foolish community should know about -- and why?
GratuitousQ: No favorites - just dispassionate metrics. :)
The Fool: List some of your favorite websites, with commentary where appropriate. (Please provide the URLs, too.)
GratuitousQ: www.theoatmeal.com<br />www.teefury.com<br />www.someecards.com
Go to GratuitousQ's Profile
Stock Folders: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z