A Foolish Interview with DanaFBlankenhorn Add to My Favorite Fools Add to My Penalty Box

Take me back to where I was.
Click here to edit your Interview.
Find another Fool's Interview:
The Fool: Briefly explain how you select stocks.
DanaFBlankenhorn: I mostly play long-term momentum. I like new technologies, but I prefer companies with some experience weathering downturns.
The Fool: Your greatest fear? Any neurotic ones (agoraphobia, triskaidekaphobia, etc.)?
DanaFBlankenhorn: Losing my dear wife Jenni. We've been together since 1975, day and night. She's my rock, my reason, the great love of my life.
The Fool: Briefly review your favorite book.
DanaFBlankenhorn: Haroun and the Sea of Stories. What is the sense of stories that aren't even true? Salman Rushdie's classic, written while he was on the run from the fatwa, is the ultimate defense of free thinking and the importance of writers.
The Fool: What seemingly insurmountable challenge did you meet and defeat?
DanaFBlankenhorn: I've been in journalism since 1970, covering business since 1978, despite the efforts of every boss I ever had to run me off. I don't suffer fools, fools don't suffer me, yet I keep writing and keep making money at it.
The Fool: Tell us a joke (bear in mind this is a family site.)
DanaFBlankenhorn: Facebook is going to $100.
The Fool: What other financial products or services do you use?
DanaFBlankenhorn: The Internet is my beat,and the free Internet is where I get my ideas.
The Fool: Does ethics or 'socially responsible investing' have a place in your investment approach? How so? How not?
DanaFBlankenhorn: I avoid companies that treat their employees like dirt, and don't pay the full costs of what they're doing. These are off-balance sheet costs that are unsustainable.
The Fool: Have you had a brush with fame, the proverbial '15 minutes'? Tell us about it.
DanaFBlankenhorn: I've been seen on CNN, heard on CBS Radio, and published in The Chicago Tribune. It's part of the journalism business to be available to other reporters.
The Fool: What's been your best investment to date, and how did you discover it?
DanaFBlankenhorn: My first investment was a computer services company, made when I was 13, that quadrupled within 6 months. Wish my dad had let me sell it, but the broker talked him out of it and the company then tanked. Don't listen to brokers.
The Fool: Do you have a favorite company or stock which the worldwide Foolish community should know about -- and why?
DanaFBlankenhorn: IBM is my best current investment. You can leave it alone and keep profiting. You will get lots of warning when it stops working.
The Fool: List some of your favorite websites, with commentary where appropriate. (Please provide the URLs, too.)
DanaFBlankenhorn: I also write at Seekingalpha.com and TheStreet.Com. Before that I was at ZDNet. I hesitate to recommend anything but danablankenhorn.com because it's all I can be sure of.
Go to DanaFBlankenhorn's Profile
Stock Folders: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z