UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 42342  
Subject: A 2-year-old's Christmas Date: 12/31/2012 9:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
My grandson really enjoyed Christmas. He's kind of obsessed with lights anyway and watching him make the rounds of our tree, pointing out the lights ("blue one, green one, red one, purple one...") was fun. The only ornaments that got his attention were the crocheted snowflakes and a baseball player made from a clothespin, so no problem with breakable ornaments.

He enjoyed everything I got him...the Fisher-Price toolkit with electric drill & bolts to drill in/out (he caught on to switching the direction of the bit rotation quickly), but hasn;t gotten into the claw hammer and plastic nails yet. He liked the Melissa & Doug box of puzzles, and the shopping cart and extra set of foods with little pots & pans & utensils ( intended for use with a toy stove & sink, but DD has no room for that in her apartment). And the wooden train set from his parents and Melissa & Doug clock face from his aunt & uncle (DS & GF) and teddy bear fro my mom (the bear and my CHristmas moose got a lot of rides around my house in the shopping cart--along with the food).

About a half hour away is James Island County Park, which hosts a Holiday Festival of Lights every year. He liked looking at the displays out the car window, but loved exploring the walk-through displays, especially since it's unusual for him to be outdoors after dark (he lives in Harlem).

FOLLOW-UP ON DGS SPEECH DIFFICULTIES

His speech therapist, Nancy, has done a wonderful job. His intelligible speaking vocab has gone from way behind to ahead--he makes many more sounds than he used to. He still can't do some consonant combinations and uses H in place of things like ST, so it's "up the hairs" instead of up the stairs and "down the hide" instead of down the slide. He still drools, but much less. He's learning to keep his mouth closed and swallow. He mentioned Nancy a couple of times over the 5 days he was here, and sung one of the songs she does with him on his own volition many times and made up some appropriate additional words to it.

His nanny, Mina, speaks mostly Spanish, and he can count to twelve almost as well in Spanish as English and can think in Spanish a little bit, too. For example, he wanted to do something he wasn't supposed to, so Mina said, "Daddy dice <DEEchay...says> No," and Rowan immediately replied, "Mommy dice Si!"
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement