Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: cswelch Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 193219  
Subject: A Baby Boomer Introduction Date: 9/2/2007 6:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Well, to begin with, I'm Cathy "Cat" and I was born in 1951.

I live in a group home, which was established by a lovely married couple for people who can't find a solution to Austin's daunting housing situation (you can get an apartment only if your rent is more than 1/3 your income.) We live in a great ranch-style home and our rent includes three meals a day. Utilities are also covered. My rent is $600 a month, which leaves me roughly $400 discretionary income from disability.

Not only this but this widow has the cameraderie of the other residents here and some pretty lively conversations ensue.

Career? I've been a teacher, a DJ and a safety rep for a casualty insurance company, but my real career was my guitar, playing and singing in the Live Music Capital of the World. (Yes, I've met Willie Nelson.)

To sum it up, I'm retired from general chaos--although I still sing some.

Cathy "Cat"
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 167601 of 193219
Subject: Re: A Baby Boomer Introduction Date: 9/2/2007 6:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi, Cat!
Welcome. Pull up a chair and pour yourself a beverage.
Interesting story you tell there. Glad you found a decent place in Austin. Had no idea that apartments were so difficult to get.

Oh, and I love Jefferson, Texas, as well.

Author: cswelch Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 167603 of 193219
Subject: Re: A Baby Boomer Introduction Date: 9/2/2007 6:13 PM
ChiliChild, I love Jefferson, too. Great bed and breakfasts and vacation spot.

Thanks for your response!

Cathy "Cat"

Author: bigpix Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 167604 of 193219
Subject: Re: A Baby Boomer Introduction Date: 9/2/2007 6:22 PM
Well. welcome to you!!!

Two new Boomers in the same week.

We needed some new blood around here.

Glad to make your acquaintance and looking forward to sharing electrons with you.

bigpix

Author: bosslady52 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 167609 of 193219
Subject: Re: A Baby Boomer Introduction Date: 9/2/2007 7:26 PM
Hi, Cat...welcome to the Boomer board!

Author: Professor9 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 167611 of 193219
Subject: Re: A Baby Boomer Introduction Date: 9/2/2007 7:30 PM
Welcome aboard, "Cat."

I spent a couple of years as a part time DJ myself (not at clubs, but a li'l tiny classic rock station.)

Again, welcome.

Prof

Author: SirYoda Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 167612 of 193219
Subject: Re: A Baby Boomer Introduction Date: 9/2/2007 7:31 PM
Welcome, Cathy "Cat"!!"

Pull up a chair to our virtual kitchen table, grab a beverage of your choice, and sit a spell!

Yoda

Author: Odee Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 167613 of 193219
Subject: Re: A Baby Boomer Introduction Date: 9/2/2007 9:07 PM
Welcome to Boomers Cat!

I haven't met Willie, did see him in concert back in June here in CT.

Odee

Author: 6Bitsadollar Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 167617 of 193219
Subject: Re: A Baby Boomer Introduction Date: 9/2/2007 9:44 PM
Oh, and I love Jefferson, Texas, as well.
The Jefferson between Longview and Daingerfield, the one near Karnack and Lake o'the Pines---

or does TX have two Jeffersons (one near Austin)?

Molly--found really great hamburgers and fudge in Jefferson, but not all that great with her Texas geography

Author: acm4tax Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 167628 of 193219
Subject: Re: A Baby Boomer Introduction Date: 9/3/2007 1:00 AM
Hi "Cat",

Welcome aboard. This is special - 2 new boomers in one week! Hope you stick around and share your life with us. It's a great group of friends you'll find on this board.

Arleen

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 167636 of 193219
Subject: Re: A Baby Boomer Introduction Date: 9/3/2007 8:59 AM
Again, add my welcome to the others!

I've never been to Texas, but I know (and like) some Texans!

~~ Alison

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 167639 of 193219
Subject: Re: A Baby Boomer Introduction Date: 9/3/2007 9:35 AM
Recommendations: 1
The Jefferson between Longview and Daingerfield, the one near Karnack and Lake o'the Pines---

or does TX have two Jeffersons (one near Austin)?

You got it right, Molly.
It's the old town that robber baron Jay Gould proclaimed that with his intervention, "grass will grow in your streets and bats will roost in your belfreys."

It was the only inland port in Texas, which played havoc with his rail business, so he sabotaged the waterway and destroyed the shipping business. Oddly, (a testament to forgiveness?) his personal railcar is one of the big attractions in Jefferson.

Author: StarWarriorRie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 167668 of 193219
Subject: Re: A Baby Boomer Introduction Date: 9/4/2007 9:44 AM
I've never been to Texas, but I know (and like) some Texans!

~~ Alison

And if you ever decide to travel to Texas I am willing to be your hostess.

;)

StarWarrior Rie
Alison fan

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 167672 of 193219
Subject: Re: A Baby Boomer Introduction Date: 9/4/2007 9:51 AM

;)

StarWarrior Rie
Alison fan

Me, too!
And I can vouch for Alison being a very nice houseguest.

Author: sellers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 167676 of 193219
Subject: Re: A Baby Boomer Introduction Date: 9/4/2007 12:01 PM
Hi Cat! Welcome to the best board in Fooldom. Pull up a chair and get ready for some fun. There's always something good going on around here.

I'm Joan and I live in north central Iowa. DH and I are farmers and winter snowbirds in AZ. I look forward to getting to know you.

Joan, liking new voices on the board

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 167678 of 193219
Subject: Re: A Baby Boomer Introduction Date: 9/4/2007 12:04 PM

;)

StarWarrior Rie
Alison fan

Me, too!
And I can vouch for Alison being a very nice houseguest.

Thank you most kindly! And you can bet that you both will be among the earliest notified -- probably only after myself <g>!

~~ Alison, always considering adventures

Author: cswelch Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 167691 of 193219
Subject: Re: A Baby Boomer Introduction Date: 9/4/2007 6:49 PM
Recommendations: 2
Wow! What a warm welcome! Thanks so much for all the responses.

I forgot to mention, now that Texas is on our minds, I live in Austin, Live Music Capital of the World.

Austin has grown a lot, but there are still a number of people who remember the way it was back in 1978, the year I showed up from Tyler, Texas with a bumper sticker that read: I wasn't born in Austin but I got here as soon as I could! Now we have Tshirts that read Keep Austin Weird.

If you want to feel like your streaming sound is in Austin, check out KGSR.com "where the music comes first."

And remember, if you want to come here on vacation, that's fine. The problem is, we're full. (A small joke). We just ask as you cross the Red River, you must eat at least a small jar of jalapeno peppers when you do!

Thanks again, ya'll,

Cathy "Cat"

Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 167695 of 193219
Subject: Re: A Baby Boomer Introduction Date: 9/4/2007 9:22 PM
Welcome to our group. :-)

Just call me RM and I'm in northern Michigan.

With 2 dogs, 6 ducks and a wandering DH.

RM

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 167701 of 193219
Subject: Re: A Baby Boomer Introduction Date: 9/4/2007 11:04 PM
Austin, Live Music Capital of the World.

I've heard and enjoyed the Austin Lounge Lizards several times. Does that count for anything? Anything other than my own enjoyment, I mean.

~~ Alison

Author: SirYoda Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 167703 of 193219
Subject: Re: A Baby Boomer Introduction Date: 9/4/2007 11:31 PM
Recommendations: 2
the way it was back in 1978, the year I showed up from Tyler, Texas with a bumper sticker that read: I wasn't born in Austin but I got here as soon as I could!
-----------

3 favorite bumperstickers here in Colorado:

1) Simply a license plate outline with the word "Native"

2) Another, same design, that says in very small print "I'm not a" // NATIVE in same size type as bumpersticker #1 // "but I got here as fast as I could," again in small print

3) Please! Let's not CALIFORNICATE Colorado!

Yoda

Author: RainyDayWoman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 167725 of 193219
Subject: Re: A Baby Boomer Introduction Date: 9/5/2007 1:59 PM
My favorite bumper stickers here in Juneau:

"Another sh1tty day in paradise"

"Juneau Rain Festival: January 1 - December 31"

RDW
*enjoying another day of pouring rain

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement