Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
 
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: salticid Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 9935  
Subject: Re: Do you encourage students to go into teachin Date: 5/25/2013 1:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
A bit late in responding to this, but I am a teacher (CT) who is pulling out now. My wife is getting out now. My daughter is a fairly new teacher who is getting out.

The reasons are two-fold.

Yes, the parents now expect us to raise their children for them. On the other hand, teaching their children to be polite, do their homework, or simply not giving their very special treasure an A just for breathing is offensive, as it indicates that the parents are deficient. I qualify this by saying that 95% of parents are wonderful. The other 5% have the Superintendent's lawyer on speed dial.

Secondly, the politicians in CT are trying to out-do No Child Left Behind with one ridiculous law after another, including requiring enough additional schooling to make CT teachers qualified to teach at Harvard, having teachers evaluated by how students do on standardized tests even if the test does not cover that teacher's subject, having teachers evaluated by the parents...

I am conflicted, because this country is in desperate need of education, but on the other hand has no respect for it either. Doomed, I guess.

But I would not encourage any student of mine to subject themselves to the indignity of being a public school teacher.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement