Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
ok, so here's the deal. my father had a couple of met life policies for a very long time. this year met life sent him a note saying they were changing the policies' fund to a stock fund. as dad didn't want the stock his only other option was to cash out. so now he has to figure capital gains and report it on next year's return, since he likes to do his own taxes he is wondering how to compute the capital gains. he asks me and i says i don't know but i know a cool web site where there's likely a coupla people in the same boat that have been there, done that and bought the t shirt. all i ask is point me in the right direction. which irs publications would apply to this situation? is schedule d the right form? as a bonus question, is there a time window to ponder reinvesting that money and avoid/defer paying capital gains? thank you in advance for any help.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.