UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MandBinc Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35400  
Subject: A cash balance portfolio Date: 11/10/1999 5:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
As many of you may have heard, a number of companies are eliminating their Defined Pension plans and replacing them with Cash Balance accounts. Unfortunately for me, I work for one of those companies and being close to retirement have started really, really looking at retirement income sources.

There are Pension Annuities that guarantee an income for life or cash benefit for a beneficiary should you kick the bucket before all the funds are depleted. On average it looks like it is based on a 5% interest rate and a portion of the principle so that when you die there is nothing left - mortality tables.

I can not live comfortably on that kind of money but as I said I have been looking around and there are alternatives - if you can stand the risks.

There are a number of Closed End Bond Funds, and preferred stocks that pay monthly dividends. Many of the Stocks are REITs - Real Estate Investment Trusts that pay most of their earnings to their stockholders and thus pass off their Tax Liabilities as well. A couple of goodies are GLR_PRA and LTC_PRA (Yahoo quote symbols.) Both are currently paying over 15% per year. The Parent Symbol for news and SEC reports is GLR and LTC.

There are also Closed end Bond Funds, GSF and ADF, which pay 13 and 14% respectfully. These two are run by ACM and are both leveraged so there is some risk should interest rates rise significantly.

Then there is ZTR and USU. ZTR is a Zwieg fund and pays 10%. USU is a company that enriches Uranium for Power Plants. It is currently paying around 12% but it pays its dividend on a quarterly basis.

I am sure there are many more out there similar in nature. If you know of any, drop me a line or Post them here.

As for a Muni-fund, I like SXFIX. I dumped it at $9.83 but am waiting for the Greenspan dust to settle before buying back in.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement