UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ThomasThom Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74816  
Subject: A Confused New Investor Date: 1/15/1999 10:12 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I own my own business and had a great year. Our business is fairly new so this is the first year we actually created income above and beyond living expenses. Toward the end of last year our accountant recommended we make a contribution to a retirement plan through a SEP. At that point he recommended to us a local investment company. Apparently our story is complicated by the fact that my partner and myself and our employees are paid through
a staff leasing service. My partner and myself actually only receive a small
percentage of our compensation through the leasing company. The investment sales-person indicates we are somewhat restricted in our investment selections due the fact that we are leased employees. He said that we were able to do a SEP but it had to be through Kemper. He recommended a mutual fund that appeared to be very expensive and had performed well below the market. At this point we are very confused and have lost trust in the financial
advisor we are dealing with. We have not given him any money! After reading your books and other information your provide I feel like we would ideally like to make our own decisions about where to invest; however, we are unsure where to turn to make sure our investments qualify under a SEP, and how to even establish the SEP. My partner and myself were fortunate to have six figure incomes in 1998. We have three employees to which we will also be
making a retirement contribution. How should we best address this confusing situation?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Feste Award Winner Announced!
Congrats to the Winner of the 2013 Feste Award!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement