Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: trepanne Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21992  
Subject: Re: Investment Tip for Ned's Friends Date: 4/8/2011 8:42 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
a daughter who doesn't eat red meat

those ones don't survive to maturity in our household. our 4-year-old clamors for tendon, tripe, and sashimi; the 1-year-old has started eating boudin blanc for baby food (he ate a whole link of it for dinner tonight).

we get a lot of mileage out of shrimp boils these days. you need the big suckers, like 10 or 15 to the pound. take the peels & heads for stock (or else cheat & use bottled clam juice instead); season the flesh & set aside. add tablespoon or two of oil or chicken schmaltz to a dutch oven; slice smoked andouille into knuckle lengths & brown over high heat. remove browned andouille; reduce heat to medium; brown thick onion slices & whole peeled garlic. dump in canned tomatoes & shrimp stock; dilute with a little water. tie up a bundle of thyme, a good strong bay leaf, and a whole dried cayenne; toss into the pot. grind in black pepper; add maybe a tablespoon of your favorite spice mix (paul prudhomme; tony chachere; old bay) and bring to boil. reduce heat to medium-low. boil new potatoes for ~10min, then add sliced corn on the cob and whole okra and boil for ~5 min. add the andouille back in with a link of boudin, if you got it. nestle the shrimp down in; boil shrimp 3min, covered; flip & boil on other side 3min; remove shrimp to clean bowl. i tend to adjust the seasoning with thai fish sauce. serve with tongs or chopsticks.

long bdx, emr, intc, msft, jnj, mkl, hrs, dhr (sold april $52.50 calls against), pg, tgt and a few more conversation killers. mostly bond proxies.

seems like a good strategy in the current market; i'm steering some of my relatives that way myself - many of the same names, even.

i've been hiding more in market-neutral workouts - like, yesterday i was most of the volume on NEGI. this operation probably marked the spade hitting the bottom of the barrel:

http://goo.gl/Shijv

as i said, nothing of interest. and lamely flapping your wrists & talking about doing 15-20% uncorrelated doesn't fly so hot when beta is the place to be... i'm reduced to praying volubly for a market meltdown, which of course just drives it higher.

and not much in the pipeline once my current crop comes in. looks like 2H2011 is going to involve a lot of sitting in cash. either that or trying to work up some song & dance about generating alpha in JNJ, MSFT, et al.

brk pos to pi. it'll hit $150k when MIT wins the NCAA men's b-ball final, though not before

MIT has a basketball team??

i dunno, i'm kind of not feeling the sokolgate trade because of the low % decline in the stock. maybe paired with short SPDR to pinpoint the relative performance, but that's a lot of capital to tie up, and i can't really go on margin.

maybe a different way to skin the cat would be to look at calls (esp LEAPS) on BRK or other boring stocks that have flatlined forever in a bull market.

god it's depressing that i'm even thinking about this.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

The Saddest Place on iPhone Day
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement