UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1967418  
Subject: A fair deal in Chicago Date: 2/9/2013 8:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
"CHICAGO (CBS) — Contract demands by Chicago police officers include much higher pay and something you might not have imagined.

Chicago police are reportedly proposing in negotiations that their pay increase by 12 percent over two years.

The union also wants officers to get extra money because they are required to live in the city.

According to the Chicago Sun-Times, the union is proposing a residency stipend of $3,000 per officer.

Chicago Police Union Proposes Pay HikeWBBM Newsradio's Bernie Tafoya
Police also want to pay less for their health insurance and get more money for their uniform allowance.

The Sun-Times reports, officers also want to reach the top of the pay scale after 20 years, rather than the current 25 years.

To top pay for a patrol officer is $86,000 a year.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/02/07/chicago-police-want-1...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1858731 of 1967418
Subject: Re: A fair deal in Chicago Date: 2/9/2013 9:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
The union also wants officers to get extra money because they are required to live in the city.

According to the Chicago Sun-Times, the union is proposing a residency stipend of $3,000 per officer.

That's easy enough. Say "no" to the 3K and elminate the residency requirement.

Author: Stonewashed Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1858746 of 1967418
Subject: Re: A fair deal in Chicago Date: 2/10/2013 5:18 AM
To top pay for a patrol officer is $86,000 a year.

That isn't the part that stings. The part that stings is many of these public union members get paid almost as much when they retire, until they die, and many of them can retire pretty early.
These have not been properly funded. Neither have many of the larger corporations.

Meanwhile, those of us who did fund them and our own are sitting on piles of cash the government is increasingly oogling as a source of cash to fund their own empty promises.

My husband had a conversation the other day with a bank employee (manager) from Ecuador who is trying to save enough money to buy a house here. She told him in Ecuador once you paid off your house, no one could confiscate it, even if you were behind in property tax. She seemed to think that was the case here too.

In NY the property taxes have gotten so high, even if your house is paid off, your property taxes are 10 to 20 grand a year. And I wonder why a community that used to have a nice mix of ages is increasingly looking grey, or at best middle aged public sector retirees who claim Florida residency and "visit" or "trash collectors" with million dollar homes. The rest is simply underground.

We wonder why the young are leaving?

I guess the powers at be are assuming that most of economy is underground, outside the investment bankers, who are legally doing things offshore and laundering the money for the worldwide undergound economy.

In the mean time, we plebs who were brought up to pretty much believe honesty was the best policy, are having identity crisises.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1858756 of 1967418
Subject: Re: A fair deal in Chicago Date: 2/10/2013 9:07 AM
The part that stings is many of these public union members get paid almost as much when they retire, until they die, and many of them can retire pretty early.

That is rarely the case, usually police and firefighters in major cities who get lots of overtime and put their lives on the line, not other municipal/state/federal workers. My son, a teacher in a well to do and liberal Boston suburb, needs to work a minimum of 37 years for full retirement benefits and has no opportunity for overtime.

In NY the property taxes have gotten so high, even if your house is paid off, your property taxes are 10 to 20 grand a year.

Property taxes have been high in NY state for decades, this isn;t new. Property tax of $10-20k sounds like a pretty big house. When my parents retired, they couldn't afford the property taxes on their close-in suburban NYC home. Rather than downsize to a neighborhood of small homes or move into a non-luxury condo of less than 3 BRs and 2BAs, they moved to a lower cost of living state in a warm climate (no more snow storms or icy roads).

We looked at small condos & coops in NYC in 2011, and in our price range, property taxes were less less than $10,000/year, usually half that or even less. And that was Manhattan and Brooklyn.

If you want to live in a big house and/or on a big lot in a state with good public infrastructure and services, it costs money.

Author: Stonewashed Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1858775 of 1967418
Subject: Re: A fair deal in Chicago Date: 2/10/2013 11:47 AM
That is rarely the case, usually police and firefighters in major cities who get lots of overtime and put their lives on the line, not other municipal/state/federal workers. My son, a teacher in a well to do and liberal Boston suburb, needs to work a minimum of 37 years for full retirement benefits and has no opportunity for overtime.

And 22 plus 37 is what? 59. I guarantee you the new teachers are not going to get that even while they are working.

Property taxes have been high in NY state for decades, this isn;t new. Property tax of $10-20k sounds like a pretty big house. When my parents retired, they couldn't afford the property taxes on their close-in suburban NYC home. Rather than downsize to a neighborhood of small homes or move into a non-luxury condo of less than 3 BRs and 2BAs, they moved to a lower cost of living state in a warm climate (no more snow storms or icy roads).

When we bought our 80 year old house with 1.5 baths in 1994 the taxes were 6 grand, which is still outrageous. They are up to almost 10 grand. People who have a "big" house pay almost 30 grand, if it's new, 22 grand if it's a gagillion years old....more if they had the audacity to improve it or make it bigger outside it's original foot print.

Moreover, you don't know what you are talking about. Did your rent? Doesn't matter, the rent reflects all the costs including the property taxes.

If you want to live in a big house and/or on a big lot in a state with good public infrastructure and services, it costs money.

I don't live in a big house and the infrastructure is not being taken care of, or do you sing a differenct song, when saying the infrastructure is crumbling so that's why they need more.

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1858846 of 1967418
Subject: Re: A fair deal in Chicago Date: 2/10/2013 6:04 PM
The part that stings is many of these public union members get paid almost as much when they retire, until they die, and many of them can retire pretty early.

I don't know that I would call 50% almost as much.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement