UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: goodjoan One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75825  
Subject: A few newbie Fool questions Date: 8/6/1999 3:21 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am fairly new to the Fool, please be gentle!

My husband recently got a new job that puts us in a position to finally start saving, investing and generally be more responsible with our money. Because I'm the one who seems to care, it's become my job to do the investing and make the investment choices for our family.

The job he just left had a retirment savings plan that he has to cash out in a lump sum. We'll get taxed as well as pay a 10% penalty. We'll be using that money to open 3 education IRAs for our kids and payoff the remainder of our credit card debt. Anything left from that we might invest in a Roth IRA. Also, we will now have $500-$1000 each month to invest. (it was a BIG raise in pay!)

My questions:
The new job offers a 401(k) but does not match funds. Are we better off investing in the 401(k) or in a separate IRA where we can use the Foolish 4 and perhaps get a better return? They plan to start matching funds in the future, obviously then it's the better option.

Is there any benefit to splitting the max contribution over more than 1 retirement plan (401k, ira, roth) other than being able to self direct a separate account?

And finally, we will be opening the education IRAs with the max yearly contribution of $500 each. Thats too little to Foolish 4 with and too little to put in a Vanguard 500 (which I seem to read as the next best option) Does anyone recommend a decent index fund that we could put the money into until it's big enough to withstand the Foolish 4?

We will be opening the accounts with either Seibert or Waterhouse, probably Waterhouse, as soon as we cash out the retirement system account.

Thanks for your help!
GoodJoan
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement