Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I've tried calling the IRS twice to get these answered, so I think I'll just ask here:

- Do my witholdings need to be within 90% of my tax burden for salaried income? As it stands now, I will owe a significant amount (more than 50% of my total tax liability) at then end of 2002.

- (Follow up) If they don't need to be within 90%, what's the best place to put money set aside for taxes? Treasury issues? A CD? I won't need it until April of 2003.

- How does student loan interest deduction work? Is it interest paid that year, or accrued that year? or is there a difference?

- What kinds of relocation allowances are deductable?

- Are Roth IRA distributions of the principal (original money invested) really tax and penalty free, no matter what?

If you know the answers to any of these...or know where I can find the answers...please reply.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.