UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Aida2003 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75383  
Subject: A few questions about taxable accounts Date: 11/21/2003 9:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello Foos,

I am on the way to open my Roth IRA and I decided to go directly with Vanguard. Yesterday in the evening I talked to a Vanguard representative. Even though he couldn't figure out what status box I should mark since I'm not a U.S.citizen, he was helpful with other questions.

They charge $10 for accounts if balance is below $5K. The guy said that Vanguard assesses balances in June and December. So, if by June it's still under $5K, you'll be charged 10 dollars. I'm going to mail a check of $3,010 (pre-pay the custodial fee) for 2003, and then let them automatically withdraw my money from my checking account. However, I still have to learn if I could fund my Roth IRA more until June (that way, I would reach $5K) and then decrease monthly contributions afterwards. Maybe someone of you has an idea about this.(??) So, this question was about a ROTH IRA.

Now I have some questions about opening a taxable account.

I'm torn pondering which route to open a taxable investment account. I'm interested in DODBX that I would like to buy and hold. But I am not sure if I should open an account with Scottrade or directly with Dodge&Cox. I still have time to think and maybe ask Fools' opinions since I don't intend to open this taxable account until after New Year.

Another question would be: How long does it take to have an account all set up? It seems I can open a Scottrade account on-line, but Dodge&Cox prefers an application filed via mail (which is fine with me, I have got all the forms at home). I could send the application in December, if it takes 2 weeks or so to open an account. But on the other hand, I'm afraid that they may set it up before 2004, and I don't want to have complications with my 2003 taxes. Has anyone have any insight about such a situation?

The last set of questions would be about stocks. Beforehand I must admit, I am a newbie in the arena of investing. Your info and advice/insight would be very helpful to me.
So, I am more like a Buy-and-Hold person. Therefore I was asking above if I am fine to go directly with Dodge&Cox, since I'm prone to keep that fund for a long term and make monthly contributions (unless something unexpected happens).
If I understand correctly, people who open a brokerage account all tend to trade stocks. Is this how they build a portfolio by constantly buying various stocks? Do they buy and hold the stocks or just keep trading daily or weekly?
Moreover, I haven't understood yet why tax consultants advice to sell unprofitable stocks at the end of the year in order to offset gains during that year.(??) I know that it's because of taxes. But what if that stock's price appreciates in the near future? Yeah, I agree it's impossible to guess prices of stocks, but anyway...

Thanks for everyone's input, Aida
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement