No. of Recommendations: 9
Some of you may recall my post a couple years ago on the subject of the death of my friend Ron, the itinerate house painter/car thief?

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=24294138&sort=use...

One day this past summer, on late July or early August, I was just driving around aimlessly when I passed the local Cemetery. It was a beautiful day with a clear blue sky, and hot, with a faint breeze blowing. I hadn't been to the cemetery since we buried Ron, and thought, "just for the hell of it", to visit his grave.

I remembered the general area where he was buried, and after driving around a bit I found what I was certain was the immediate vicinity, so I parked the car and got out and walked.

The Cemetery apparently has a fairly lenient policy concerning markers. While the majority are still traditional stone monuments, there many obviously home made markers, and quite a few simple wooded crosses.

Since Ron was indigent, and was buried by the County, I'd didn't figure he'd have any kind of fancy gravestone, so I began to look at names on the more interesting memorials. All of a sudden I knew I was in the right spot. I'd found Ron's final resting place.

It had no name on it, but I didn't need one. There stood before me a 2x2 white wooden post about 18" tall with a cross made from two knitting needles macramed together with purple yarn in front of it, and a plastic pinwheel daisy with all the pedal broken off stuck into the top. Three clear plastic discs about 3" in diameter threaded on a leather thong hung over it.

The effect was more whimsical than symbolic. Ron had a lot of unusual friends, and I think the memorial just sort of evolved?

Wouldn't you just know that Ron, in death as did in life, would be unique. I did take a couple pictures of the site with my cell phone, but wasn't able to download them. I'll have to try again before snow buries the grave.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement