Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFSinchiruna One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 36997  
Subject: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining investors Date: 2/3/2012 9:18 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
My fellow Fools of the Mining and Metals Board,

By virtue of our shared interest in the mining industry as a concerted focus of our investment strategies, we are united by a bond that ties us together in common interests, values, and perspectives. In addition, we are all members of a Foolish community that is built upon a foundation of community intelligence, comaraderie, and even fun.

But the unfortunate current reality is that the metals-focused community of investors at The Motley Fool is divided by a figurative Berlin Wall, apparently preventing the majority of each group from even knowing that the other existed. This is unacceptable, because by our division we place an artificial and senseless limit upon how well-informed, vibrant, and effective the community can be.

As Berlin's experience taught us, walls don't come down through piecemeal efforts. They are best torn down overnight. As a first step in tearing down the walls that unnecessarily divide our metals-focused community in two, I have sought to mobilize a diplomatic mission from the CAPS blogs to visit the Mining and Metals Board in a spirit of friendship and brotherhood/sisterhood.

I am hopeful that several members of the metals community at CAPS will take a moment to visit this thread today and connect with you all in a way that is overdue, and I hoipe that you in turn will connect with them and approach the experience as an enrichment of our respective stomping grounds. I hope that we can all set our egos aside and understand that we all need each other in order to be the most effective metals investors we can be.

Please don't feel uneasy; no one is here to try to coax you away from the Boards, and nor are active CAPS bloggers very likely to switch homes. But the era of our complete isolation from each other is over. It must be so. I have no idea what will result, but I imagine we will begin to see information and perspectives jumping over the physical divide and reaching investors in both places.

So please, embrace your fellow metals-investing Fools from this day forward as members of a broader community that is greater than the sum of its parts. I have seen tons of quality discussion and analysis in both groups over the years, and we have more to offer each other than we can imagine.

We want you to get to know us, and we want to get to know you. Let's really introduce ourselves to each other in this thread. Although I'ver never had the pleasure to meet the people I interact with in CAPS every day, I feel like I know them all. I'm sure you all have a similar experience here. I am tremendously excited to meet all of you here, and to get to know you each as individuals with valuable insights and perspectives into this market.

Thank you for welcoming some of your fellow Fools into this space today, and for embracing the concept that an artificial wall constructed between segments of a community have never made that community any stronger.

Christopher Barker
TMFSinchiruna
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: johnybottom Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32744 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/3/2012 10:15 AM
Recommendations: 2
Thank you for your efforts Chris!

You are truly an asset to TMF, building both knowledge-base and community.

I am a young investor (27 yo) managing my small (<50k) net worth in RIRAs, 403(b)s, and cash accounts at several different brokers.

I tend to gravitate towards interesting investments. I especially like small companies with a small number of revenue streams because I can follow the accounting much more easily than large conglomerates.

My background is bioengineering/neuroscience and I'm currently working in the oil&gas industry. If I can help anyone out just let me know!

Author: outoffocus One star, 50 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32745 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/3/2012 10:23 AM
Recommendations: 1
OutOfFocus checking in looking forward to a good discussion on the state of metals and mining. Cannot stay long as I have to return to my CPA-Financial Advisory duties. But I hope this grows into a huge thread.

Cheers!

Author: TMFSinchiruna One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32747 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/3/2012 10:25 AM
Recommendations: 5
Allow me to get the ball rolling with a brief introduction. My name is Christopher Barker, and I came into this Foolish community first as a subscriber to The Motley Fool's Inside Value newsletter back in 2005, and became active in CAPS soonafter its inception.

I am an Anthropologist by training, who specialized in building stronger communities (of all things). :) When my Father took ill in 2001, I made a move to be closer-by, and took up sailing for a living. Within a few years, I earned my Coast Guard captain's license and began running classic wooden sailing yachts until my blogging activity on CAPS caught the attention of Fool HQ, and I was asked to begin writing for them.

By that time, I was already 80% invested in metals and miners, with a huge core position in CEF seconded by major core positions in SLW, GPL, etc. I have always employed a basket approach to the space, preferring to spread my risk over a large number of companies. Today, I am essentially 100% all-in on the metals and miners, with 116 equities in my portfolio. As this powerful rally continues, I am seeking to begin raising my cash balance into relative strength just as I deployed my cash into weakness during the worst depths of last year's correction. I've had some success in the past predicting major corrections and breakouts -- though like most I was blindsided by the March 2008 meltdown -- but increasingly over time I have grown agnostic towards those attempts to predict near-term dynamics in favor of a more systematic formula like I described above of selling into strength and buying into weakness in a disciplined way. Approximately 80% of my portfolio stays untouched in a perpetual long stance to benefit from the secular bull market trend, while up to 20% moves in and out according to the volatility that presents itself.

I have publicly maintained my $2,000 target price for gold since 2007, knowing all the while that it was excessively conservative, because I didn't wish to alienate potential investors with price targets that might strike them as being ludicrous. As it was, I bore the brunt of much derision and ridicule for espousing that $2,000 target when I ded. Same for silver, where I've been on the record since 2007 stating that silver will go to $50 on its way to $100. Likewise, I see the full potential upside being higher still, but I'm happy to begin with those conservative, intermediate targets. Once $2,000 gold is surpassed, I will of course raise the target.

I have been so fortunate to develop a strong network of personal contacts in the industry over the past several years, and these are now affording me a level of access into mining companies that few in my line of work enjoy. Through interviews, mine-site visits, and direct access to company CEOs to discuss new developments, I find myself in a strong position to offer a unique sort of perspective to mining investors. While the articles I publish reach a wide audience through their transmittal across multiple financial news wires like Google, Yahoo, MSN, AOL, etc., I wanted to make sure that my own Fool community was finding its way to the work. That's what led me to post here the other day, and I am glad that I did.

I have to get back to writing, but I will try to keep checking today. Thank you all in advance for making this diplomatic mission a success. I am delighted to make your collective acquaintance.

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32748 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/3/2012 10:35 AM
and I'm currently working in the oil&gas industry. If I can help anyone out just let me know!

PERK!!!!

JB.

I "play" in mining but a good part of my serious efforts are in the (mostly Canadian) energy sector. This is largely due to the attractive dividends somewhat missing in the miners.

When you say "oil&gas industry" could you be a bit more specific as clearly these two are currently not exactly locked together and the divergence may have some interesting opportunities.

I'm currently in producers (no oil sands right now but often producing both oil & gas), infrastructure (Pipelines, power production and distribution), one small Nat gas "pure play" fellow (that has had the snot kicked out of him) and a US off shore driller.

Tim

Author: johnybottom Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32749 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/3/2012 10:49 AM
Recommendations: 3
I work at a small oil&gas firm - in the exploration department. My current position involves land work, but I also take care of a lot of production analysis, and occasionally get my hands in economic forecasting too. We operate about 40 wells in Texas and have working interests in about 300 more wells with about half of those in unconventional shale plays. Our operation is pretty small and simple - which gets me exposure to just about all areas of the business.

But... This is supposed to be about Metals. One of the things which draws me to the metals, just like it did to petroleum extraction, is the creation of wealth from our natural resources. They are extremely similar in a bizarre sort of way.

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32750 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/3/2012 11:05 AM
One of the things which draws me to the metals, just like it did to petroleum extraction, is the creation of wealth from our natural resources. They are extremely similar in a bizarre sort of way.

Concur except for the dividends thingy.

They share a lot of the same problems as well as great potential in what I like to call the real economy (as opposed to people selling stuff made elsewhere to each other). }};-D

Perhaps you could look in on the oil and gas board that has become rather moribund?

While I have some PM stocks, my interests tend to go to the rather interesting (to me) things like copper, lead and uranium again part of the "real economy".

Oh I forgot that I also own a significant (to me) position in a helicopter services company that works in both mining and oil as well as military transport contracts, search and rescue, air ambulance and just about anything else a helo can be helpful with as well as paying a nice dividend.

Tim

Author: amln Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32751 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/3/2012 11:22 AM
Recommendations: 4
Greetings to Chris and all the CAPs participants and to all the Mining and Metals Board participants. As a reader learning more about this sector, I'm happy to learn and participate in all venues.

Chris's body of articles and blogs have been really helpful to me, personally, in developing a better understanding of gold, silver, and coal sectors. I think his efforts come from a genuine spirit of generosity and desire for collaboration, so I hope everyone reading and participating can do so without the layer of cynicism or competition displayed earlier.

I'm interested in a broader range of mining than Chris usually covers - copper, fertilizers, lithium, uranium, platinum and palladium, the metals recyclers, and other areas of the economy, too, and have appreciated the broader coverage on this board.

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32752 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/3/2012 11:34 AM
I'm interested in a broader range of mining than Chris usually covers - copper, fertilizers, lithium, uranium, platinum and palladium,

amin,

Would an extra "1.707 million ounces (48,393 kgs) of platinum" have an effect on the miners?

Tim

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/03/uk-usa-shipwreck-p...

Author: amln Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32754 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/3/2012 12:02 PM
Hi Tim, thanks for the link. I read a few conflicting reports about the contents and ownership, but I haven't had a chance to look into it more. Whatever is down there, it's probably going to take a while for all the issues to get resolved.

On another topic - I use IB for one of our tax-deferred retirement accounts (in the US). You can trade currency on their platform as well as stocks, options, etc. A few months ago, I traded US dollars for Canadian dollars and then purchased stock in some Canadian companies on the Canadian exchanges. My purpose was to avoid the pink sheet listings and to diversify our currency holdings. I plan to hold these stocks long term, and I expect the Canadian dollar to strengthen compared to the US Dollar long term. I spoke with a Canadian tax official and was told Canada does not tax gains or dividends in accounts held by US citizens in US brokerages. Does anyone here have experience with this? Is anyone familiar with the tax ramifications in a taxable account? Thanks.

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32756 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/3/2012 12:20 PM
Does anyone here have experience with this? Is anyone familiar with the tax ramifications in a taxable account?

amin,

You are probably asking the wrong person, as a Canuck I could never be in that position or have any reason to know? I think Papa Smurf (Smufty) would be the one to ask? I think he is "on the road" right now.

I do agree with your efforts to buy your Canuck stocks directly as the pinks can be difficult and are often mispriced due to really low volume.

Having said that in rare cases you can take advantage as the "pink" didn't get a cease trading order on a little gold miner that got trashed on news that was shortly after refuted on the Canuck exchange but the news didn't get to the guys dumping the "pinks". That is one of the few times I ever bought a "pink". }};-D

Tim

Author: ubernut Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32758 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/3/2012 12:33 PM
I posted this on the blog but figured this is a good place to repost.

I am new investing in metals and mining. I guess also to investing in general. In the past I have just stuck my money in etfs or just companies that I liked or heard a pitch about on the business news network.

Recently I have been learning more on fundamental analysis and have tried to really value a company. Its nice to finally be able to form my own opinion on what a company is worth.

I have to thank Sinch for his wonderful articles that have highlighted companies that to me seem like amazing value and have potential for enormous growth. So far I have pick up stocks based on his articles and I am happy to hold on and see what the market will think these stocks are worth a few years down the line.

I have been following his articles for several months now and have rarely posted. But I hope to change that I have lots of questions for the mining community in general and it would nice to have an additional area for questions to be answered like the Metals and Mining Discussion Group.

I still have so much to learn when it comes to mining stocks and investing I am sure there are others out there like me. I look forward to future discussions with everyone here.

Author: TMFSinchiruna One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32760 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/3/2012 12:46 PM
Recommendations: 0
ubernut,

I look forward to your active participation in both places. Your fellow Fools are here to help as we are able.

If you were noew to the space during 2011 and were not spooked away by the disappointing year, then I dare say you have the makings of a very successful metals investor! :) I wish you a very profitable year.

Author: outoffocus One star, 50 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32761 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/3/2012 2:07 PM
I'm interested in a broader range of mining than Chris usually covers - copper, fertilizers, lithium, uranium, platinum and palladium, the metals recyclers, and other areas of the economy, too, and have appreciated the broader coverage on this board.

amln,

As an avid follower of Chris, I am familiar with the commodities that Chris covers, such as copper, coal, platinum, and some other industrial metals. He doesn't write on them as frequently as gold and silver (probably due to lack of interest) but I think the best thing to do is to add Sinchy to your RSS feed or add him on twitter and you will be made aware of articles on other commodities.

Author: kdakota630 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32763 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/3/2012 2:15 PM
Sorry for taking so long over here. I haven't been particularly busy with customers (there have been a few), but first my computer was bogged down (especially with TMF for some reason), and second I was trying to find a contract I'd signed over 3 years ago with a payment processor I was trying to leave as I found another (they informed me that they'd extended my contract by a year and my lawyer asked me to find the contract to see if they could legally do that). It's been interesting, although both issues seem resolved now, at least to some degree.

So... is this where we're going to continue our regular discussions regarding PMs and miners? I won't lie to you, if so, it's definitely going to take some getting used to. I'm pretty set in my ways (I still prefer 8-Track tapes).

Author: Jbay76 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32765 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/3/2012 3:05 PM
8 track tapes...really? man Kdakota, you do change slooooooowwwlly!

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32766 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/3/2012 3:06 PM
but first my computer was bogged down (especially with TMF for some reason)

The TMF site was wonky for awhile, happens occasionally.

Hey my little Lead guy is up 45% (ait) in two days... is that good? }};-D

Of course it needs a week at that rate. }};-()

Tim

Author: Smufty2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32771 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/3/2012 4:01 PM
Recommendations: 4
Papa Smurf reporting from the slopes of Vail on a lunch break!
My understanding is that a Canada-U.S. income tax treaty (or convention) contains provisions that reduce the withholding tax on interest to zero and dividends to 15%, when the recipient is one of the counties.

Pink sheets can work negatively and postively. In many of my core positions I hold shares both on the foreign exchange directly (Canada, Australia, London, Hong Kong) AND the pinksheet versions. It is a regular practice of mine to place standing low ball limit buy orders in the more thinly traded pinks and, like a fisherman with a worm on a hook in the water, I wait for a desparate or foolish fish to bite. You would be surprised how often this works. On the sell side there are two things to consider, standing high ball limit sell orders fill much less frequently than the low ball buy orders, but you almost always find a buyer if you are willing to sell slightly below the current price on the foreign exchange. I only do this on stocks I am happy to own with a longer term time horizon.
Some pinks, like Lynas, have more liquidity than many Canadian miners on the Canadian exchanges. So buying them on the pinks is not a concern at all.

Welcome to the Metals and Miners board everyone.

Smufty

Author: outoffocus One star, 50 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32780 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/3/2012 6:30 PM
Slightly OT but please review my latest blog post:

http://caps.fool.com/Blogs/ive-been-here-a-long-time/702119?...

Author: HarryCarysGhost Three stars, 500 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32781 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/3/2012 6:54 PM
Hi everybody.

Harry here checking in from Chi-town. I'm a sign installer by trade so that does'nt really have much to do with PM's (I suppose theres a bunch of silver in the message boards I install). I'm no expert on PM's by any means, but if you have a question about signs I'm your guy. I also post on the boards under the Visa ticker. Blesto and I are responsible for the last 100 comments

Stopping by in support of Chris, been reading and reccing his posts and articles for at least two to three years now and I have a much better understanding of the PM market because of it.

Also I invested real money in some of the junior Silver miners Chris has found. I probably would have never heard of them without Chris's ability to find these small companies (of course my own due dilligence was used) But having Chris's expertise and his willingness to share is invaluable

Looking forward to browsing all the past disscussions in this board.
Cheers

Author: skypilot2005 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32782 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/3/2012 8:50 PM
Papa Smurf,
Vail? I am a Steam Boat Springs man myself but, that’s another story… :)

Ya. Tell me about the pink sheets…….

Harry: You get to The Chop House often?

I am Sky Pilot Official Web Link Assistant to Sinch.

I am an Air Force veteran and spent my younger years there. That’s why I chose my screen name.

I’ve used The Motley Fool for investment ideas for many years.

I started investing to save for my daughter’s college over 25 years ago. I’ve never used a broker for investment advice but, was able to accumulate sufficient funds to take care of the cost.

I worked many years as a manager in a Fortune 500 company; the largest in its category. One day, I decided I had had enough of the grind, gathered up the personal belongings in my office, quit and now work for “The Government”.

I have 55 PM companies among the holdings in my brokerage accounts. My largest position is Sandstorm Gold up 24.48%. 2nd largest is AuRico Gold up 8.58% (I had a ton of Northgate)

Sky Pilot

Author: Matt1344 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32783 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/3/2012 9:12 PM
"I am an Air Force veteran and spent my younger years there. That’s why I chose my screen name."

Hi skypilot,

Gotta admit the first thing that popped into my head when I saw your screen name was Sky pilot by Eric Burdon and the Animals :-)

I picked up some Sandstorm Gold when I saw that the CFO from Silver Wheaton was the CEO, I figured he ought to have a good chance of being successful. It was fairly early in the story and picked it up @ 46¢. I later picked up some of their spin off, Sandstorm Metals and Energy, which unfortunately is down 17%... oh well, the lucky silver quarter came up heads so I gotta hold onto it...

My thanks to you for serving in the Air Force.

Time for me to go do some dancing at the Saddle Rack.

All the best,

Ken

Author: skypilot2005 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32785 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/3/2012 9:52 PM
Ken,
Looking forward to posting with you.

You wrote yesterday:
"Some of you may recall me posting about this long shot Explorer with a unique asset and homerun potential.
Up a lot recently, over 22% today. No news that I can find, and I do not expect new info until after the snow melts and drilling resumes. Strange.
Smufty - still long"

I was exploring the boards yesterday and noticed your post. So, I did a couple of pages of D. D. on ATAC Resources and ran across another/additional miner that may offer potential.

I’ll post it tomorrow.

Sky Pilot
Official Web Link Assistant to Sinch

Author: HarryCarysGhost Three stars, 500 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32788 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/3/2012 10:57 PM
Kdakota- seriously man... you listen to-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Q7V-__dCA&feature=playe...!
On 8 track?

Skypilot I've never been to the chophouse. Parking downtown is too damn expensive. I frequent lettuce entertain you restaurants since I get gift cards every year as a Christmas bonus.
L-woods, Wildfire and Magglianos are some of my favs.
I've always wondered how did you get the official web link to Sinch. Was it ever made official or just because you do such an awesome job of it.

I should disclose that one of my better investments was EXK, a longtime sinch reccomendattion. Bought heavily at $4 sold enough where the remaining shares are totally free to me when silver hit $50/oz taking a nice profit so that was sweet.

Also made money on SLW and GPL, all sinches recs and I'm holding on for greater returns (dropped a bit of gpl when that slam piece by Muddy waters came out but bought back in at a buck lower). Currently own BRD and think it will do well for me.

Author: Matt1344 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32790 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/4/2012 6:11 AM
"Ken,
Looking forward to posting with you.

You wrote yesterday:
"Some of you may recall me posting about this long shot Explorer with a unique asset and homerun potential.
Up a lot recently, over 22% today. No news that I can find, and I do not expect new info until after the snow melts and drilling resumes. Strange.
Smufty - still long""

Hi Sky Pilot,

Smufty was the author of that post. I just gave him a heads up on the newsletter recommendation.

take care,

Ken

Author: TMFSinchiruna One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32793 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/4/2012 6:37 AM
"So... is this where we're going to continue our regular discussions regarding PMs and miners? I won't lie to you, if so, it's definitely going to take some getting used to. I'm pretty set in my ways (I still prefer 8-Track tapes)."

Kdak,

The CAPS blogs will remain my primary home, but I think we may all enjoy maintaining a presence here as well with these fine Fools.

Author: TMFSinchiruna One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32794 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/4/2012 6:47 AM
Tim, amln, Smufty, and Ken(Matt),

Thank you very much for the warm reception you have shown your fellow Fools visiting from CAPS. I look forward to a longstanding spirit of collaboration and engagement.

Everybody grab a piece of the wall as a keepsake, as the physical barrier that once existed between us is no more.

Author: totolapse1 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32818 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/4/2012 9:39 PM
What happened? Looks like we got invaded by friendlies.

Author: Cashemco Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32830 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/5/2012 10:54 AM
Recommendations: 6
Hi everyone,

I am a semi-retired Commercial Real Estate Broker/Developer, with a interest in PM’s, both physical and shares, I own shares in several Oil companies and some small REEs, but at this time I am on the sidelines in Nat Gas and Uranium stocks (no offense Tim). I have brokerage accounts in IB (thanks to Tim) and Scottrade.

I have been on this board since WayneOwl invited me to leave the Goldcorp board 100 years ago and join this community. I have not posted much this past year, kinda turned into a lurker since sonnypage passed away. While I'm at it, I picked a lot up from Russ from frogfarm. While we don't get the really great insight from those gentlemen any longer I can look back and remember a number of great investments I made that where stimulated by by something they wrote.

Last March, over a three day period, We sold over a third of our highly profitable mining stocks. Some positions we closed out entirely. I had a reason then, which I kept asking my wife Mary, did we make the right decision? To make a very long story short, we had borrowed on our home to save several of our businesses. We were retiring with income from our real estate holdings that we sold years earlier. We wanted to be totally debt free, so we sold and paid off our mortgage. As it turned out the timing could not have been better. However, We are now dealing with the capital gain tax, but that is another story.

I have found and shared on this board several small mining stocks that have brought some good gains in our stock portfolios. We get “Pump and Dump” people once and a while but not often. We have all learned from our original “old timers”. I think we are down to two handfuls of posters here, so I welcome this delegation from CAPS and intend to make a visit to their site.

As always do your own DD

Cheers!

Cashe(long PM stuff et al)

Author: eeibbay One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32834 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/5/2012 3:07 PM
Hi All
A latecomer from the CAPS delegation and really looking forward to using this discussion forum.
I am a newbie investor in PMs since April 2011 ( terrible time to start !!) and may not have a lot to add to any of the discussions here but will try to participate. I have looked back over some of the older posts and it looks like I can learn a lot here. My primary focus is also on the TSX and Venture Exchange miners (shame on CAPS for not including more!!) although I am from Europe ( I know...terrible place to start!!). Stocks I own include MUX,SSL,SND,RMX,SVM and my favourite at moment is CUU. I noticed one or two others with CUU as well so hoping they are happy with the current pop. Still can't get it onto CAPS though, even through CPFXF.PK.
Good luck to all and hope to get to know you better over time.
eeibbay

Author: TMFSinchiruna One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32838 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/5/2012 7:50 PM
I must confess, I atill yet confused on how to navigate these boards.

When I click into the board, I feel like there's no predicting where in the sequence of threads it leaves me, and I have trouble navigting to a particular thread. Even when I reduce the time lapse to 1 day, I feel like it often jumps past threads or posts I'm looking for.

Any advice appreciated

Author: Matt1344 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32840 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/5/2012 8:48 PM
"Any advice appreciated "

I'd like to be of assistance but I've never taken to the threaded mode. I prefer the Unthreaded mode...

I'm generally content to just take the posts as they come in. If i did need to find a specific thread which I had posted in then I would look at my profile activity for the most recent 99 posts, click on the post(thread) of interest and then go into threaded mode temporarily.

If it was older than 99 posts then I guess I'd just have to look at the http://boards.fool.com/mining-and-metals-100055.aspx?mid=298... Again I have my preferences set for 99, and from there I could page back until I found it.

You might also make use of the [Reply Later] option IF you know you'll be coming back.

Probably others have even better suggestions.

Regards, Ken

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32841 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/5/2012 10:48 PM
I must confess, I atill yet confused on how to navigate these boards.

I leave it "UnThreaded" but usually before replying hit the "whole thread" button to make sure someone else has not already answered for me.

Tim

Author: RaptorD2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32844 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/6/2012 4:51 AM
Hi again, Christopher, and welcome.

I suspect you misunderstand the previous thread you started here. No one in their right mind would be against having more participants in a discussion of one of their investing passions. The division, if there is one at all, is between CAPS/non-CAPS. Some like it. Some don't. But we all love gold. :)

If you don't understand this, let's back up and discuss it. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that until your first post the other day, no one ever heard of you. Now isn't that a sad thing, that you're concentrating on PM's, actually studying, visiting, and writing about mining and we never knew it? There's the problem. It isn't you and I dare say it isn't us. It's that darned division of CAPS/non-CAPS again.

I participated in the beta-1 CAPS. Didn't like it, stopped using it. I can't cancel it, can't stop my score from hanging on years-old picks I made, so it makes me look like an idiot. Hey, what's to like? :)

You are correct IMO. We all have to get together, 'cause we're all in the same boat and while we don't have a captain (are you applying for the job?) if we hit, say, a rock shoal near Greece, none of us are cowards and we won't let any fellow metalheads go down with the ship.

What I know about precious metals can be easily summarized on the head of a pin. I like them. :)

Hey, everyone, new and old! Party like it's the end of the dollar, and pray that it isn't. Got metals?

Okay, that stuff is out of the way, we're all buds, so let's get serious. What should we be buying? Somebody pass the doobie. :)

Dan

Author: TMFSinchiruna One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32849 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/6/2012 9:39 AM
Dan,

Thanks for the kind welcome! I can't tell you how pleased I am that we're all working together to crumble that senseless wall between CAPS and the boards. I can already see that several of the CAPS regulars are going to absolutely thrive on the interactions they find here!

I am very, very impressed by the knowledge base that resides here, and I can't wait to see what our combined knowledge base will look like and where it will lead us.

This ship doesn't need a captain. We'll each keep a hand on the wheel.

Author: Matt1344 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32851 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/6/2012 11:06 AM
"I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that until your first post the other day, no one ever heard of you."

Be careful climbing out on those limbs Dan :-)

I remember Christoph dropping in a number of times during my time here, but certainly not a regular.

God bless,

Ken

Author: skypilot2005 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32855 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/6/2012 1:54 PM
Sinch:
Industry Discussions / Mining and Metals (left top)
Threaded
Use the Prev or Next “button” to find the thread you are interested in. (right top)

Click on a post to read it or reply to it.

To start a new thread: click Post new ( Guys correct me if, I am wrong on this one)

Once you’ve clicked on a post, use prev or next to navigate with in the thread.
Post reply to reply to the author of a post.

Post, to add to the thread. (correct me if, I am wrong on this, also.)
Sky

Author: TMFSinchiruna One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32857 of 36997
Subject: Re: A Foolish Delegation of fellow mining invest Date: 2/6/2012 2:04 PM
Sky... Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'm going to prefer the unthreaded format. I have altered my settings at Ken's suggestion to 99 posts per page, and bookmarket the following link which starts me off with the last 7 days of activity (up to those 99):

http://boards.fool.com/mining-and-metals-100055.aspx?mid=298...

That solves the problem I was having of cliking into the board and only seeing say 1 post, and then finding I was skipping content when navigating from there.

I haven't used the next and previous buttons at all, preferring instead to view the whole thread.

We'll get the hang of this... :)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement