Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 40908  
Subject: A ? for sheila.. Date: 1/19/2013 6:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
.....or more specifically, your husband. IIRC, he's something of a medical history maven, right?

Can he call to mind the name of the pathologist/physiologist from the 1800's (I'm pretty sure) who is reputed to have first noticed the dark meat/white meat on poultry.....and the structural differences between slow and fast twitch muscle fibres?

I'm almost pretty sure he was French and I'm a bit less sure that his name began with an *L*. I've asked around, gotten a few folk *Of A Certain Age* as frustrated as I (they almost remember......just like me) and even started attacking the packing boxes in my basement where I'm marginally sure one of my out-of-date physiology textbooks can be found.

Not a hugely monumental piece of info if he can't......but I do hate an itch I can't scratch
Print the post Back To Top
Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38180 of 40908
Subject: Re: A ? for sheila.. Date: 1/19/2013 8:47 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Not Sheila, but do you mean French anatomist Louis Antoine Ranvier in 1873?

Laura

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38181 of 40908
Subject: Re: A ? for sheila.. Date: 1/19/2013 9:15 AM
Yes it is, Laura. I knew there was an *L* there somewhere. Thinking it was his surname is likely what stopped me dredging it to the surface.

Thank you very much!

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38182 of 40908
Subject: Re: A ? for sheila.. Date: 1/19/2013 3:38 PM
Have no idea if it's a name my husband had been familiar enough with to have retained. And as far as folks "of a certain age" go -- we're at least a decade ahead of you! ;-)

Cool that Laura was able to scratch that itch!

sheila

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38183 of 40908
Subject: Re: A ? for sheila.. Date: 1/19/2013 5:33 PM
Have no idea if it's a name my husband had been familiar enough with to have retained. And as far as folks "of a certain age" go -- we're at least a decade ahead of you! ;-)

It seems to me that textbooks these days don't seem to have so many of the little historical footnotes that I remember from the texts I used back in the 1970's so I assumed that it'd only be the sort of thing someone of my age or therabouts would come across.

I can usually remember stuff like this no problemo but it seemed the more I tried, the further it got buried. My husband couldn't help.....and he's got the sort of brain that retains random trivia too. I asked martybl on the weight training board and he drew a blank too. I was beginning to think it was a figment of my imagination.

I've really got to do something about those boxes of out of date books, though.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38184 of 40908
Subject: Re: A ? for sheila.. Date: 1/19/2013 5:48 PM
In case you were wondering why I was wondering, it was to do with my IDC classes.

I tend to categorise the type of class I teach under various headings and those that start with a low-moderate intensity with a skill set focus and progress to a higher intensity I call Turkey Training.....slow twitch to fast twitch muscles (dark meat to white) and got to thinking.....

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38185 of 40908
Subject: Re: A ? for sheila.. Date: 1/19/2013 6:00 PM
my IDC classes...

And that stands for????

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38186 of 40908
Subject: Re: A ? for sheila.. Date: 1/20/2013 5:38 AM
Indoor Cycling.

With so many different model bikes out, folk've tended to stop using the term Spinning as a generic description. I've been training with a couple of US cycling coaches and they always use the term IDC to destinguish what they do from the arobics on a bike stuff.

** When I say "training", I'm talking about honing techniques for coaching, mind, more than trying to make a late in life debut on the pro peloton

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement