Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: stocktalkphx Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 77  
Subject: Re: Free Morningstar Report On O Date: 1/18/2006 11:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
A free report on O (dated 01-12-06) is available from Morningstar at this link:

www.morningstar.com/barrons2.html

David

The above message doesn't do the link justice - however I recommended it (thanks David!) as the report on O is very much worth reading, particularly if you were new to it. It probably would have saved me over 1000 bucks and some sleepless nights if I had read this a year or two ago when I first started with O (take a look at the 2 year chart to see the "heart attack" dips that scared me out at a loss the first time).

Had I have had this report, I would have been much more calm and probably saved some money, or even bought more for better profit.

In any case, I couldn't help notice that they claim the debt load on O is in the 24% range, but Yahoo claims much more. I'm not sure why the discrepancy exists, except perhaps the report is old (1yr, 6mo or so). O used to have less debt but it has recently increased. Still this report gives you good reason not to worry. A quote if I may...

"As a result, Realty Income's cash flows are extremely steady and largely unaffected by movements in interest rates." (p.1)

I also learned what "Crest Net" is. It is a way for O to sell off properties it doesn't want, but rather than have a fire sale, it has a business specifically oriented to reselling at a profit.

I learned that they often buy properties in bulk (thus getting a discount), and it would make sense that some might not be the best material for a lease, thus it would make sense to sell it. I feel much better now about what Crest Net is and does. I always found O's explanation sketchy about what Crest Net is and what it does.

I also learned where the dividend increases come from:
"The firm's long-term leases--the majority of which contain built-in rent bumps--ensure a steadily rising monthly dividend." (p.2)

To complement Morningstar, I must say this is an excellent report. It makes me want to join thier report service. To anyone considering O, or if you feel you want to understand it better, I highly recommend reading the above report. Note - they aren't kidding when the tell you to turn off the pop-up blocker, you must turn off your blocker (often on by default in IE) before clicking the link.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement