Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
A friend had an elderly neighbor living with her for awhile after foreclosure. She had put her house in her son's name. Between drugs and gambling, he mortgaged the property and lost it. She should have been comfortably living in her home for the rest of her life, instead she is in a shared rental, struggling on Social Security and food stamps.

There are many things that can be done, but to do it right requires a lawyer and understanding of your state's inheritance laws.

If the daughter is truly poor, she may not be able to afford the house even if she owns it.

Giving it to her know, means that it is a gift and needs to be declared as a gift. No taxes are currently due. It reduces his lifetime gift allowance (its early and I can't remember the exact term) and the amount that passes tax free from his estate.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.