Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: Re: Child's SSDI Payments Date: 9/17/2007 4:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
A friend of mine was recently approved for Social Security Disabiliby payments - including a lump sum for retroactive payments. Because of her disability, there is also a payment for support of her daughter - again, ongoing payments and a lump sum for retroactive payments.

The parents are very by-the-rule about using the daughter's payments for her support. They are wondering whether it is okay to apply the daughter's payments, particularly the lump sum, towards a home equity loan that they took out to make legally required modifications to the home. (The law is involved because the daughter is adopted; the renovations addressed an environmental cause for a medical condition.)

As my friend explains it: "the renovations were required for her, but I do admit that the rest of the family benefits from them. We would not have done them at this time if we weren't required to do so. And some probably never would have been done."

Thanks,
- Parkway

I called a friend that has a daughter on SSI, which is different than Social Security Disability.

You didn't really give enough info, however........

There is a couple of ways to look at this.

1. Even though everyone benefits the modifications were required by the medical conditions..so the payments can be used for the loan.

2. The lump sum payment was for previous support. Support already paid, therefore it's more like a reimbursement. So, IMHO, paying for the loan is okay.

I hope that helps.

I would look at the Social Security Administration not the IRS for "support" rules. I couldn't find any on a quick search, that's why I called my friend. There is something about when a child turns 16 the check goes to the child not to the parent. The parent can charge a % for household expenses. For example if there are two people living in the house the rent, utilities, etc. are split 50/50 and the child can be responsible for their share. The rest of the money should go to things for the child.

There might be a better board to ask your question on. Maybe this one.

http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=100162

Jean
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement